350Z Roadster install :) - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • 350Z Roadster install :)

350Z Roadster install :)

Old 08-30-2006, 06:41 PM
350Z Roadster install :)

my theory with getting a good sound in convertibles is always to get more speakres upfront to produce more sound at a comfortable level...and this is no exception.

The goals of this install:

1. good sound quality, ability to hear every word smoothly and clearly with the top down on the high way

2. stealth install and save all trunk space

so...lets get started with whats installed:

headunit: Pioneer 6800 6 disc dvd changer
Front stage: DLS iridium 6.3 3 way component set
rear fill: Infinity Kappa 6.5" comp set supplied by the customer
Subs: two DLS iridium 10" subs in Nazar(350z audio sponsor)'s roadster boxes
Amps: Customer supplied Orion xtr 900.2 powering the subs, and DLS CA23 powering the front stage, rear fill is off the headunit...

first off is the headunit isntall:

The front stage is installed in my typical fashion, with the midrange and tweeter flushed into the kick panels sealed by a little glass and dampening:

and the midbasses sealed into the door and the entire door dampened, of course new wires were run into the door, no use of stock wires here

here is the view from behind the seat, not infiniti tweeters. Nazar's boxes are tucked out of sight, more on that later

moving onto the trunk. here is the view with the trunk open:

and with the carpet off, you can see the stock support piece is retained to give support once again

and here is in full show mode the fake floor is wrapped in vinyl, with both amps flipped under plexi. t he bigger orion is towards the front witht he smaller DLS amp straddled by the four DLS crossovers. for venting purposes, there is intentionally a gap around the amp to allow air to flow and a very high flow squirel cage fan moves the air around...

at this point i want to say a big thanks to Nazar for producing these wonderful ZR boxes for the stock cubby space behind the seat. I think they are the perfect solution for getting good midbassinto the ZR. Here are some pics of the install progress:

first up we have just hte boxes:

and here is a shot of the cavity with the neccssary panels removed, i laid down some foam dampening on the floor to reduce vibrations

here is a test fitment of both boxes, i then marked out two holes so i can use the stock bolts to secure the box

Now nazar ships the boxes usually with speaker terminals, but i always prefer to drill a hole, pass wires through and then duraglass it shut so it can never leak ro fail:

and here is the front of the box carpeted, note that this isnt at all neccessary, as the box is compeltely hidden from view

here ist he box turned bottom side up, with polyfill and wiring leading out, ready for subs:

and here is the DLS iridium 10" sub mounted in the enclosure:

i alway use quick disconnects to make any future diagnosis and removal easier:

so now both boxes are in, secured by two bolts on the bottom and two more screws on top:

and finally all the panels back in

So far, it sounds great, i took a quick drive on the highway with the top down and i can definetly hear things cleanly and clearly, the bass is quite good, better even than my expectations, and there is honestly VERY LITTLE rattling, i would go as far as saying that there are LESS rattles than a Z coupe wtih say two 10s under the strut.

enjoy
Old 08-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Another awesome job!

DAM! Your installs never fail to amaze!
Great job! Can't wait to order some kicks from you!
Carlos
Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 PM
DROOOOOOL!!!

I'm thinking about moving to the west coast now...
Old 08-31-2006, 01:11 AM
sweeeeeeeeeeeet....!
do the kappa rear fills powered by the HU kind of mess up the high quality sounding iridiums in front? I guess the fader is probabaly 70/30?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:15 PM
well, i had it faded pretty far forward, at whcih point the upfront sound pretty much completely overwhelms the backs that you dont even hear them anymore

but at 50 50 front and rear, yeah to me it takes away a bit from the front stage...but...thats not my call to put them in

b
Old 08-31-2006, 12:30 PM
Oy.. If I had the cash.. o mann