Alpine IVA-W505 ordered, clueless about speakers and amps - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Alpine IVA-W505 ordered, clueless about speakers and amps

Alpine IVA-W505 ordered, clueless about speakers and amps

Old 12-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Alpine IVA-W505 ordered, clueless about speakers and amps

I have a 2006 non-bose sport sedan and I'm pretty clueless about which speaker setup to use. I bought the double din bracket, face plate and A/C module a while ago. Here is what else I've ordered so far: Alpine IVA-W505 DVD Receiver, Alpine NVE-P1 Navigation, Alpine TUA-T550HD HD Radio Tuner Interface. I'm trying to decide between adding a sub at this point, but I'm not sure that I even need that. Here is what has been suggested: For the non sub setup: Infinity Reference 6020CS on all four doors with an Alpine MRP-F300 amp. For the sub setup: Infinity Kappa 60.9cs in the front, Infinity Kappa 63.9i in the rear, Alpine MRP-F300 amp, Alpine SWR-1042D (w/ 4080 sub box), and Alpine MRP-M500 amp. Here are my questions: 1. Should I even add a sub? 2. What do you think of the 2 speaker setups, sub and non sub? 3. Will the 4080 sub box store the Alpine MRP-M500 amp, and do I even need an amp for the sub? All opinions are welcome, Thanks.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:05 PM
I have all your answers, I have an almost complete alpine setup right now I can't type too much right now, will send you a PM later.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:32 PM
I think the second setup (w/ amp) sounds like a very good option. I like the extra (but not ridiculous) bass, though. Both will sound very good.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:48 PM
I have the second setup. set of good components and sub... sound stage is fantastic, the sub adds the warmth, and fills the missing voids in songs. 2 amps will give you more control and better overall sound in my opinion
Old 12-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks Kazaam, I'll look for your PM. TroysG, I noticed you listed Focal in your signature. I have some Focal home speakers. How do the Focals sound vs the Infinity speakers? Thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 07:40 PM
to be COMPLETELY honest, I have worked with the infinity equipment before and the highs WAAAAAAAY too tinny in my opinion.
there isn't a comparison from Focal to Infinity. having the home speakers you should know about the richness of the midbass and the clarity of the highs. you won't get anywhere close to that with the infinitys
Old 12-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroysG
to be COMPLETELY honest, I have worked with the infinity equipment before and the highs WAAAAAAAY too tinny in my opinion.
there isn't a comparison from Focal to Infinity. having the home speakers you should know about the richness of the midbass and the clarity of the highs. you won't get anywhere close to that with the infinitys
Which Focals would you recommend?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:57 PM
k2s or if you wanna drop the big money the beryllium (last I checked they were 25,000 a pair hahah)
Old 12-09-2008, 02:45 AM
If you're gonna power anything up front, I'd put an amp on them. If you want some insanely sweet speakers I'm selling my Zapco CK-16.2 components for VERY cheap. They sound better than the K2P's IMO.

The Utopia Be's I believe are 5k from what I remember (3 way set). Haven't heard them, except for the tweeters and they sounded nice.

The Zapco's are known to be very good components. There was a review on them as being one of five best components made. They retail for 1,200 and cheapest I've seen them for are 650 + shipping, but I'm selling my for 450 shipped.

As far as speakers in the rear, I'd either leave the stock ones there or personally, disconnect them and only use the fronts. For one, you'll have 1 less amp to worry about buying and more speakers to buy and two, more importantly, it brings the stage back behind you, which defeats the purpose of a soundstage, which is supposed to be in front of you.

As for a sub, yes, get one. Don't think of it as loud and obnoxious. Midbass is generally 80Hz - 300 Hz. From 80 Hz and down, you lose so many frequencies that complete the music, that's what a sub is for. You don't need anything crazy. Just get a single 8, 10, or 12 that is efficient. Basically something that doesn't require much air space and doesn't need lots of power. JL is known for that, but there are many other companies, such as Sound Splinter, TC Sounds, Image Dynamics, Aura, etc.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the education and opinions TroysG and donpisto, the picture is starting to clear up. I'm leaning toward a Focal setup. Here is what I'm thinking about:
  1. 165K2P UV (Upgraded Version) - focal 6.5" PloyKevlar Components (for the front doors)
  2. 25A1 Focal 10" 400 Watt Subwoofer
  3. 4080 Sub box
  4. FP5.500 Focal 5 Ch 4X45 + 1X200 Watt RMS Power Amplifier
  5. 165CVX Focal 6.5" PolyGlass Coaxial Speakers (for the rear doors)
Just a few more questions. It has been recomended that I leave the rear speakers as is, but would the Focal coaxials listed above be better or worse. Also, is the amp I've selected capable of running everything? Do I need spacers for the speakers?

Thanks again
Old 12-09-2008, 11:42 AM
the 4080 box will have to be modified to fit in the 4080 box. (did my research on that sub) the sub is actually closer to 11"

As for the rest of your questions. The front speakers are definitely going to need spacers otherwise you hit the windows when they're down. the amp should be enough to power everything but that sub will probably want a bit more loving. I'd contact a focal dealer and ask them first. I know the focal amps are underrated so you should be good
Old 12-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Even if you put the most amazing speakers in the rear, it still draws the stage away from you. The rear speakers are for "fill" and even more so for the passengers. Some people like the rear fill. I don't. Even with my current stock Bose I have moved the fade forward to the front speakers so my stage is in front of me.

If you are wanting to go all out, I would suggest looking into getting a processer or a head unit that has capabilities of setting time alignment, crossover points and slopes, and an EQ. This will help really bring the music alive. Time alignment is a night and day difference, it does WONDERS!

As for the sub, the 25A1 is from the Access line, and the previous model is the 27A1. I used to own 3 27A1's and if I remember correclty, they are meant strictly for ported enclosures, so you might want to keep that in mind. Although rated at 400w, that is it's peak power, not RMS, which is what you should pay attention to....thus, the 200w form the 5 channel Focal amp being a good match.

However, and here's the big however (two actually), as TroysG mentioned, Focal products are underrated and you can bet that the amp will put out more power than it's rated. That's what I love about these high end companies. My Zapco 9.0 that I used to own is rated at 2,200w 4 ohms but benchtests have shown the amp being capable for a tad over 3,600w 4 ohms.

Here's the second "however". As mentioned I had 3 27A1's, these were actually rated 250w RMS and 500w max (50w more for the RMS and 100w more for peak than the 25A1), but I had about 650 - 750w RMS going to EACH. I had an RF t30001bd and the subs were wired at 1.33 and after impedence rise it was seeing 2 ohms, so a whopping underrated 2,000w for all 3. I never had issues with them either. As long as you set your gains correctly and have the box properly tuned, you will be okay. The subs occasionaly got warm, but no blown coils, no burning smells (other than a couple times when I really pushed them). Thus said, the 25A1 will be just fine off the power you plan to give it and it certainly can take more if it's anything like the 27A1 (which it is similar to).
Old 12-10-2008, 02:02 AM
K.eep I.t S.imple S.tupid. Good speakers up front (Boston Pros, Alpine type X, etc...) Dynamat the hell out of the front doors too. Basic speakers in the rear (Alpine Type-S, Boston NX, etc..) Dynamat the back deck and trunk lid under the cover. Do the rear doors if you please. Dynamat can get addictive, so beware. Its a good addiction, and unless you are building a track or time attack car, the extra weight is nothing to worry about. Single sub in the back (Alpine Type-S, JL Audio 12w3v2, etc...) Run a high power 4 channel amp, fronts on fronts, rears bridged to sub (Alpine PDX 4.150, eehhhh can't think of any others). Radio power to run rears as it is just fill. 1 farad cap on the amp to help with those hard transitions in the music, IT IS NOT THERE TO HELP THE BATTERY. Sorry, thats the "It'll stop your headlights dimming!" EERRRRRAAAAA!! Anyways, large gauge wire, 4 minimum. Good Rcas, not the radio shack kind, designed for car so they have proper shielding. This kinda setup is straightforward, no major frills, solid, easy to troubleshoot.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Eh, I'd pass on the cap..it won't do any good really. The Boston Pro's are okay...I had the higher model several years back, the Z6's and they sounded a bit better but needed a lot of power. I've heard the K2p's and they will **** on the Boston Pro's. I like the Focal Polyglass 165v2's, those sounded really nice, but I think they are older models.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:27 AM
With the cap I am not looking at it for bass really, more for the highs. Like when someone is screaming into the microphone. Those are hard transitions. For the original posters car I was showing another configuration. I admit the Focals are great speakers in all levels and categories, they just are not my cup of tea. Some people love MB Quarts, and I think they are the tinniest speakers on earth. Everypersons musical tastes, eardrums and all the other factors of their body create unique experiances.