on behalf of my girlfriends install...before/after pics....we had an audio system in there before hand and upgraded....i will be having mine done by December
underhood battery terminal:
behind the headunit:
the old door panel, with the ADS crossover about to fall out of the door, i was wondering why there was a big long speaker grille:
until i saw the 3 way set with the mid and midbass screwed to the door panel itself:
a random wire that came through a hole in the metal and into the factory loom
audiobahn remote bass controller held on by one screw:
]After two days of tearing out stuff and fixing things, the new install got started.
here is the driver side pod from various angles and close ups.
likewise, here is the passenger side:
here are some quick build pics of the doors.
first, the metal door panel received a layer of foam to block road noise, a rack was attached, housing the two passive crossovers per door. new wires were run into the door via the factory molex:
next is the start of the door pod. first an initial mold was taken of the area the pod will take up:
once thatís cured, a layer of duraglass went on to ensure it doesnít warp:
after that is allowed to cure over a weekend, the back mold was trimmed and rough sanded:
next, the various ring baffles was attached, along with the baffle for the zapco logo plate towards the back.
mold cloth was pulled over the entire shape and resin applied:
next the pods are reinforced from the inside via more cloth, chop strand, and duraglass:
then both pods are fillered and sanded smooth, and i mocked up the speakers and plates to ensure proper fitment:
the inside of the pods received some more sound proofing:
both door cards were then heavily sound proofed as the G35 door panel is prone to buzzing and rattling if untreated:
then the pods were wrapped in black vinyl:
and finally, attached to each door card:
Thatís it for the front stage, moving onto the back, one thing i did not get to snap a picture of was how the N5 brain, the BT and the XM modules were mounted from the previous, or rather, how it was NOT mounted, they were all just free floating under the passenger seat. I put a piece of MDF underneath and secured all three modules:
the rear deck was also removed, and sound proofed to prevent rattles:
the floor of the trunk sound proofed as well:
o, moving onto the trunk. the goal is to still maintain my basic values of class and simplicity, and to showcase the Iforce amps and subs. we used two Zapco 450s, one powers the front stage with 4 x 75 watts, while the other sends 250 watts to each Iforce 10" subwoofer.
after playing around with the limited space available, I came up with a simple symmetrical design for the display.
the two subs are upfront, in a 1.1 cubic foot enclosure, and the two amps sit towards the back. all have slant routed cutouts and are trimmed in red vinyl as suggested by the customer. The top fake floor cutout has a T shaped extension in the middle that divides the two amps as well as visually separating the amps from the subs.
there is a piece of routed plexi glass border under the entire cutout.
so here is the day light view of the trunk:
flip a switch, and the border lights up red from LEDs shining through the outer edge of the plexi glass. its hard to get the effect right with my camera, and these were the best that i can do:
finally, a shot of the wiring below the floor:
sorry for all the shots but please note this is before her paint job and body kit switch