Need help deciding which double din headunit to purchase ECLIPSE? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Need help deciding which double din headunit to purchase ECLIPSE?

Need help deciding which double din headunit to purchase ECLIPSE?

Old 04-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Need help deciding which double din headunit to purchase ECLIPSE?

I'm having a tough time deciding which double din head unit to purchase. I"ve done a ton of research and read a lot of reviews, but still can't make up my mind.

I've narrowed it down to 3.
Eclipse AVN 6600
Eclipse AVN 5495
Pioneer AVIC Z1

I'm leaning towards getting the 5495 and here are my reasons. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, I"m not a stereo junkie, and am not savy when it comes to this stuff.

Eclipse 5495: The big selling point on this unit for me is the harddrive. I really like the idea of being able to record from satellite radio, and storing my CD collection on the drive.

Eclipse 6600: This is the newest headunit from Eclipse I think and has all the goodies. Ipod, TV tuner, reverse camera, all 3 things that I will probably never use. I really wish this unit had the hard drive, but b/c it doesn't, I'm leaning towards the 5495.

Pioneer Z1: Has all the bells and whistles, but you can't play dvd's while you're in drive. (Please don't bash me for wanting this feature) I know there are ways to bypass it, but since it's so new, seems all the ways are kinda ghetto. I'm not looking to turn my headlights on 3 times everytime to make it play dvd's in drive.

Well, you see where I'm coming from? I want to play dvd's while in drive, that's why I think the Eclipse units are for me!! And even though the 6600 is the newest offering from Eclipse, it has too many features I won't use. Seems the 5495 with hard drive is for me.

Any opinions from you guys is greatly appreciated. If I'm forgetting about another head unit I should be considering, please let me know. But after reading a ton of car audio literature, these seem to be the 3 best available right now. The only things I MUST have in a headunit is good navigation, satellite radio, good clear picture, dvd plays while in drive, and good sound.

So what I guess I'm trying to say, which one should I get????

Last edited by GoldClam; 04-27-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:11 AM
I dont think Eclipse 5495 has Satellite radio, because of the hard drive feature, although I might be wrong. It might be an option, but not sure if you can record Sirius radio. The Pioneer Z1 will have a hack soon to watch video while driving, unless its already out.

Last edited by GXCLUSIV; 04-28-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:20 AM
If it doesn't have satellite radio, that will be a big dissapointment. That might change everything!!

I really would like to have mind blowing clearness with the picture. Is there a unit out that has the best picture quality that I'm missing??
Old 04-28-2006, 01:38 AM
hold out for the new kenwood
Old 04-28-2006, 06:49 PM
How long until that comes out? You really think Kenwood will produce a better unit than Eclipse, Pioneer or Alpine?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:57 PM
The 5495 does not offer Sirius. Also no preouts if you have any plans of doing amps in the future.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I already have a 12" woofer, and boston acoustics all around w/ 2 precision power amps. I'm currently using a Dave Navone LOC to get the most out of the stock unit.

Need help deciding, someone please make the decision for me!!
Old 04-28-2006, 09:46 PM
if you are in a big hurry go with the new eclipse ddin
Old 04-28-2006, 09:47 PM
get an IPC too if you are gonna use your ipod with it.

or if you are on a budget get the Eclipse 5435 and either the sirius or IPC module, you should get a good deal on a 5435 now that the new models are out.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm now leaning towards the 6600!! Any other opinions out there before I pull the trigger?? And where's the best online place to buy one? I think I read there are some dealers on here that give good prices for members??
Old 04-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Your local dealer. Support the B&M guys.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:26 AM
BAH who you mean circuit city?
Old 04-29-2006, 01:27 AM
i know what kind of B&M's you are talking about but eclipse doesen't even care about the sole-proprietors
Old 04-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldClam
I'm having a tough time deciding which double din head unit to purchase. I"ve done a ton of research and read a lot of reviews, but still can't make up my mind.

I've narrowed it down to 3.
Eclipse AVN 6600
Eclipse AVN 5495
Pioneer AVIC Z1

I'm leaning towards getting the 5495 and here are my reasons. Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, I"m not a stereo junkie, and am not savy when it comes to this stuff.

Eclipse 5495: The big selling point on this unit for me is the harddrive. I really like the idea of being able to record from satellite radio, and storing my CD collection on the drive.

Eclipse 6600: This is the newest headunit from Eclipse I think and has all the goodies. Ipod, TV tuner, reverse camera, all 3 things that I will probably never use. I really wish this unit had the hard drive, but b/c it doesn't, I'm leaning towards the 5495.

Pioneer Z1: Has all the bells and whistles, but you can't play dvd's while you're in drive. (Please don't bash me for wanting this feature) I know there are ways to bypass it, but since it's so new, seems all the ways are kinda ghetto. I'm not looking to turn my headlights on 3 times everytime to make it play dvd's in drive.

Well, you see where I'm coming from? I want to play dvd's while in drive, that's why I think the Eclipse units are for me!! And even though the 6600 is the newest offering from Eclipse, it has too many features I won't use. Seems the 5495 with hard drive is for me.

Any opinions from you guys is greatly appreciated. If I'm forgetting about another head unit I should be considering, please let me know. But after reading a ton of car audio literature, these seem to be the 3 best available right now. The only things I MUST have in a headunit is good navigation, satellite radio, good clear picture, dvd plays while in drive, and good sound.

So what I guess I'm trying to say, which one should I get????
I have the 5495, no sat radio, and will only record legit cds, no burned cds.
its kinda in the middle. but u can watch whatever etc... while driving no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help deciding which double din headunit to purchase ECLIPSE?-dsc00082.jpg
Old 04-29-2006, 01:57 AM
Are you happy with the picture quality?