DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS

DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS

Old 12-15-2005, 09:15 PM
DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS

I did my own front license plate install today. It is actually quite simple and inexpensive. Total cost $17 for the license plate frame plus about $0.25 for two nuts and bolts. I know there are other options out there but this DIY allows you to decide how far the plate sits from the bumper...

-first I modified the tow hook with an angle grinder to remove most of the loop as you can see in the first 4 pictures. How much you grind down the tow hook determines how close it comes to the bumper.
-then drilled 2 holes in an old license plate and used two small nuts & bolts to attach it to the modified tow hook. The old license plate serves as a base plate to attach the new front license plate over it. (Note the heads of the nuts are visible in the 5th picture)
Attached Thumbnails
DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS-img_2937.jpg DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS-img_2938.jpg DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS-img_2939.jpg DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS-img_2940.jpg DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS-img_2941-edited.jpg

Last edited by hensta; 12-15-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:25 PM
(continued)

-then I attached my front license plate over the base plate using the license plate frame
-and here is the final product! You can see there is a small space between the plate and the bumper and it fits quite nicely. (Please excuse the dirty bumper. It's been a little cold here lately so I haven't had a chance to wash off all the bugs.)
Attached Thumbnails
DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS-img_2944-edited.jpg DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS-img_2945-edited.jpg DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS-img_2948.jpg DIY front license plate (no bumper drilling) with PICS-img_2947.jpg

Last edited by hensta; 12-15-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:29 PM
nicely done! but if you're going to put it on anyway, why not just
use the factory bracket? sure, you'll drill holes, but
the purpose is not put one on...?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:35 PM
THE BATMOBILE
looks great.........its cheap...........good job and nice DIY
Old 12-15-2005, 09:36 PM
"nicely done! but if you're going to put it on anyway, why not just
use the factory bracket? sure, you'll drill holes, but
the purpose is not put one on...?"

Good question...

The factory bracket requires holes to be drilled. Here in CA we can actually get fined for not having a front plate on. Where I work we've had coworkers come back to their cars with tickets on their car while parked in our own business lot. They not only had to pay a fine but had to show a cop that it was fixed. Yet others don't have that problem in other areas. I do not plan on keeping the car for more than 3-4 years. So the main reason I did it was for RESALE APPEAL. Many G35 enthusiasts/potential buyers in CA will not want a front plate on their car and have never had a problem with tickets for not having a front plate. When it comes time to sell my G I can take off the front plate and the new owner can decide if they want to keep it that way or put it back on.

Last edited by hensta; 12-15-2005 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Nicely done. Are replacement tow hooks the $17?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:25 PM
also you can spin the plate off in no time if you want the clean look.

or drive with it off all the time, keep it in your trunk & if you get pulled over just tell the cop that you just washed your car & put the plate back on
Old 12-15-2005, 10:32 PM
That is nice work. I agree with you on the resale value. When I was searching for my G I targeted states that did not require front plates because I didn't want holes in the bumper or have to put some useless plate up there.

Good work!

Scott
Old 12-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEE
Nicely done. Are replacement tow hooks the $17?
I used the original tow hook that came with the car. The total cost was about $17.25.

chrome license plate frame with "G35" on the lower part of the frame-$16.99
nuts & bolts-$0.25
satisfaction of the DIY-priceless
Old 12-16-2005, 12:32 AM
Premier Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensta
I did my own front license plate install today. It is actually quite simple and inexpensive. Total cost $17 for the license plate frame plus about $0.25 for two nuts and bolts. I know there are other options out there but this DIY allows you to decide how far the plate sits from the bumper...

-first I modified the tow hook with an angle grinder to remove most of the loop as you can see in the first 4 pictures. How much you grind down the tow hook determines how close it comes to the bumper.
-then drilled 2 holes in an old license plate and used two small nuts & bolts to attach it to the modified tow hook. The old license plate serves as a base plate to attach the new front license plate over it. (Note the heads of the nuts are visible in the 5th picture)
Not a bad idea, but I rather not detroy the only thing that allows your car to be towed.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Not a bad idea, but I rather not detroy the only thing that allows your car to be towed.
My thoughts too, hence why I asked about the price of a new tow hook.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Man that's an old school Ca. plate! My 89' accord didn't even have that style. haha
Old 12-16-2005, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Many G35 enthusiasts/potential buyers in CA will not want a front plate on their car and have never had a problem with tickets for not having a front plate.

Haha that's me!!!

watch and I get a ticket in the next few days/weeks. boo!
Old 12-16-2005, 12:01 PM
I have been looking for a way to do add my front plate for the longest without drilling holes but i can't understand how you have it connected to the bumper without holes
Old 12-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Well done! I've been using tip ties and tieing it to one of the bumper vents. But this looks a lot better, the only problem is that I don't have a good enough grinder to do this.

fabulustt7,

There are no holes in the bumper as he uses the tow hook mount. The tow hook mount is located in the middle of the bumper (behind that little plastic square). So, pretty much he makes 2 drilling mounts on the tow hook and uses that to mount a license plate (as a base) and his real license plate over it.

-twantrd