DIY Brake Pad and Rotor change - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • DIY Brake Pad and Rotor change

DIY Brake Pad and Rotor change

Old 04-26-2008, 08:26 PM
DIY Brake Pad and Rotor change

Has anyone done a front Brake Pad and Rotor change on a 2005 G35 coupe....themselves?

I hear it is fairly easy to do and would like to avoid the $675 quote the dealer gave for parts and labor.

I have the Factory Service Manual so I am planning to proceed by just using that....but sometimes videos (such as the Youtube video of changing the engine air filter or cabin filter) or other helpful suggestions from those who have done it before can make the job even easier.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFeazel
Has anyone done a front Brake Pad and Rotor change on a 2005 G35 coupe....themselves?

I hear it is fairly easy to do and would like to avoid the $675 quote the dealer gave for parts and labor.

I have the Factory Service Manual so I am planning to proceed by just using that....but sometimes videos (such as the Youtube video of changing the engine air filter or cabin filter) or other helpful suggestions from those who have done it before can make the job even easier.

Thanks in advance.
I did a quick walk-through of the front Brembo brake pad replacement, but it's probably different from the stock 05 setup.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I've done the break pads and it was trivial. It was my first DIY and I followed one of the many guides online. I think it took me about 2 hours to do all 4 wheels.

Not sure how much harder it is to change the rotors too, but I think you should definitly try it yourself before handing that much money over to the dealer. Parts should run you about $200 for the front if you go aftermarket.

Why only the front though? It's always a good idea to change the rears at the same time as the fronts.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:43 PM
If the rears aren't worn out, there's no reason to change them unless you are upgrading your pads.

If yours is a non-Brembo setup, bythabay and I should have a video of replacing the rear brakes in about a week. It should be very similar to replacing the fronts.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:13 PM
You don't ever always have to change rear pads when you change fronts.

The reason alot of people change only fronts, like myself... is because they produce most of your stopping power. I beleive it is 70/30 ratio.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:46 AM
It is very easy. Its just like 5-10 bolts. Everything just pops off you can probably get all new rotors and brakes for everything for less then 600$. PM me if you need any help.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
got my 2 front rotors at autozone for 130$. and brake pads from the dealers. easy to install. but its best to buy the brake pads at the dealer if you want your brake to grip good.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:18 PM
I just bought front and rear rotors and pads from a classified vendor here on the forums. And yes, like mentioned above it was under 600$. The rotors are drilled and slotted too...
I bought rears too mostly because of the looks... It would have looked weird with drilled rotors in the front and OEMs in the back...
Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 AM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandipcarz For This Useful Post:
alKoh (02-10-2016), Bill Campos (03-22-2017)
Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 PM
I'd like to add a couple important notes:

Type of rotor doesn't really matter, cheap blank rotors work fine. The only difference is ones without paint/rust protection on the center portion where it meets hub will rust and look ugly. Centric blanks are good choice. Don't replace rotors because brakes vibrate, first try to slam brakes hard to clear off brake pad residue.

Use C-Clamp and an old brake pad to compress piston back into caliper. You are supposed to have a clear tube attached to brake bleeder bolt and feeding into an empty plastic bottle, loosen bolt, and when you compress piston you squirt old fluid out.

Always remove pins, clean, and grease before reinstall. Grease is $1 at counter of auto parts store.

Cheap pads feel cheap and performance pads make more dust.

Change brake fluid every 2 years, it absorbs water. Any Dot 3 or 4 fluid is fine, you don't need high temp fluid unless you are bringing car to race tracks.

If rear rotor is stuck, make sure your parking brake is off. And always make sure a wheel on the ground is chocked to keep car from moving.

If bottom bolt/caliper pin of rear caliper is stuck, you can still slide the caliper off with it stuck, then remove bolt with a vice in your garage.

Torque lug nuts when done (~80 ft lbs).
The Following User Says Thank You to wallofgrath For This Useful Post:
alKoh (02-10-2016)