Altima vs G35 - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Altima vs G35

Altima vs G35

Old 01-18-2010, 03:29 AM
Altima vs G35

I have a 2008 Altima 2.5SL. Rides great, but straight line acceleration is lacking along with some questions I have about build quality. Anyone here go from an Altima to a G. I have thought about going with a used g35x, but only if I didn't have to finance any more money. My car is warrantied till jan 2015 or 100k miles, whichever comes first. CVT warranty up to 2018/120k mi. I have 29k on the odometer right now. The back end has been making a creaking noise and I for the life of me can't figure out what it is. Cabin noise is a bit high, but some sound deadening in the doors and rear deck may fix that.

The mileage I've been getting with the QR is sometimes impressive, sometimes not. For a 4cyl I can get around 32mpg hwy but I really need to keep it at 55 for that and pump up tire pressure. With my spirited driving it averages more around 23mpg. I want something that will last and bought my car brand new. With my finances I kinda think I should ride it out till she has high miles and then sell it for something else.

I put 2700 into a sound system which is nice but other than bass still not comparable to the 9 speaker Bose system in my friend's 09 Max. Stock head unit may have something to do with it... I doubt I will recoup my money on the system so it might just make more sense to keep it.

What do you guys think? I don't see too many good deals on G35 sedans lately. Of course one option would be to trade in for a v6 Altima, but in the end it's all more of a need vs a want. I owe about 6k on the car still.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:48 AM
I'd buy a G35. Do they still have the SE-R? My friend has the 06 one and I thought it was pretty nice.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:52 AM
i went from an 08 altima to my 04 sedan g.
the g is way nicer and faster obviously.
i will not go back to the altima. i do still have it though
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 AM
I had an altima before the G. I would keep the Altima because some of the issues you spoke of you will still find in the G. I WISH I got 23 mpg... I get that on straight highways.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLee View Post
I'd buy a G35. Do they still have the SE-R? My friend has the 06 one and I thought it was pretty nice.
After 06 I believe Nissan did away with the SE-R trim level in the Altimas. For 2010 they renamed the 3.5SE to 3.5SR and changed very little.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
i went from an 08 altima to my 04 sedan g.
the g is way nicer and faster obviously.
i will not go back to the altima. i do still have it though
Interesting. My Altima handles well and everything with the racingline strut bar and stillen rear sway bar, but the CVT really numbs the driving experience. It's hard to explain really. It's nice, but unrefined is a good way to put it.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:39 AM
oh well mine is completely stock. so i have never reallly pushed it. dont get me wrong they are nice cars. but after getting the g. id just pick a g over the altima anyday
Old 01-18-2010, 10:55 AM
should have gotten a 6 speed 3.5 altima if you cared about slowness

the base 3.5 is cheaper then the 2.5SL i think, you picked luxury features over speed
Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
The 4 cyl Altima will give you much better gas mileage and will be much cheaper to maintain. Altima is nice but very humdrum, I reccomended to my Father-in-law to get one.

Get the G35 if you want nicer interior, much better performance, better looks, better handling, RWD instead of FWD.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Maybe a bit off topic:
I could never recommend the Altima to anyone after having a friend find that her precat got sucked up into her engine and started burning oil at around 100k miles. I don't know if nissan did anything to prevent this on the current gen Altima, but it was apparent to me that nissan engineered the car to last 100k miles and that's it. My friend traded it (2002 with 120k miles) in for a new RAV4 a few months ago and 2 months later got a call from Florida Highway Patrol saying it was abandoned on the interstate. The next owner must have been pissed to say the least.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltoda View Post
Maybe a bit off topic:
I could never recommend the Altima to anyone after having a friend find that her precat got sucked up into her engine and started burning oil at around 100k miles. I don't know if nissan did anything to prevent this on the current gen Altima, but it was apparent to me that nissan engineered the car to last 100k miles and that's it. My friend traded it (2002 with 120k miles) in for a new RAV4 a few months ago and 2 months later got a call from Florida Highway Patrol saying it was abandoned on the interstate. The next owner must have been pissed to say the least.
They fixed the problems with the precat disintegrating, and the butterfly screws I think in 05 or 06. (). I still believe the engine is strong. After a bad experience like that though, I would never buy an Altima again. There is one guy on the nissanclub forums with over 100k on this 2007 2.5SL CVT model. He got the transmission replaced around 60k but then again he puts a crazy number of miles on his car.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM
my 2003 se-r ate its precat around 40,000 miles, most of my friend's with spec v's had it happen sooner then that, didnt really seem to happen to 04+ models much.

on the other hand when i bought my G with 67000 miles it was burning a good bit of oil and it needed a new motor too...maybe nissan just can't make piston rings anymore.

then again my rsx-s burnt a good bit of oil for the 70,000 miles i had it, as did my celica GT-S but I feel like with those cars it had more to do with the fact that they saw 8000+ rpms daily
Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 PM
-MN G Crew-

We have an 09 Altima 2.5S, an 05 G35 RWD, and an 08 G35x and overall, the Altima is a real nice cruiser, gets 30mpg highway, and was cheap to get.

Thats about where i'll stop with positives. In terms of EVERYTHING else, the Gs are SO much better. You get that Altima up near 120mph and the thing litteraly feels like its going to lift off the ground. The Gs do NOT do that. They are planted and like "lets do 150" I think thats partially do to FWD because my sisters old Alero did that at higher speeds to. (it has seriously been awhile since we have owned a FWD car...)

Handling, definitley a wash. The G with 5 people in it can take turns quicker than the boaty altima.

Speed? Well, it goes pretty well for a 4 banger, but you get in the G and your like "wow, i have been missing out for those last 20 minutes!"

Basically, the G35 does everything better than the Altima, aside from cost (even then, if your buying new, this car stickered for 22k, (i'd much rather pick up a used G35 than that) and gas mileage.

You need to decide what you want to do lol
Old 01-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltoda View Post
Maybe a bit off topic:
The 2.5 Altimas have been prone to many problems. My brother works for Nissan in Service and what you stated has been a known problem. Now, the 09 2.5 Altimas are having problems with the head gaskets. He's had to warrany 2 engines already on cars with less than 10k miles on them.

My advice, ditch the Altima for a G35 or get a new Altima with the 3.5, or even still, get a used 2006 SE-R 6 speed.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:02 PM
one time i raced my friend's 5 speed 3.5SE altima up to near 140 in my rsx and he said it was frightening trying to stop...i didn't really have an issue..lol

but that car seemed nice and quiet otherwise, i think smoother then my G, although my g had sport suspension and now it had z suspension so i guess it would be stiffer. the handling isnt really comparable. the altima didn't have as much driveline intrusion as the g does engine seemed more refined from what i remember but that probably just because the tranny is right next to you in the G and the shifter is coming directly out of it as opposed to the fwd altima