Has anyone used the Headlight Restoration Kit? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Has anyone used the Headlight Restoration Kit?

Has anyone used the Headlight Restoration Kit?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Has anyone used the Headlight Restoration Kit?

Has anyone used the Headlight Restoration Kit? and if so what was your experience with it? There are a few minor tiny stone chips on mine and wanted to clean it up without buying new. At least until I upgrade to the 06 ones.

Here's the link for the product:
Old 02-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Interesting product, looks like a wet-sanding, then perhaps some sort of acrylic filler

Most people use a PlastX or similar OR a detailer showed me last year to use just a medium-cut polish and a Porter-Cable power polisher. IMO that is the way to go.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Funny, just today I went out to Kragen and bought a Meguiar's headlight Restoration kit. I would have rather used the 3M, but they were out. Anyways, it comes with a pad you put on a drill, some PlastX, and a microfiber towel. You put some plastX on the pad, drill your headlights for about 20 minutes each, wipe it off, and wax it off one more time with more PlastX and the towel. I did it today and my headlights are 100x better. But either this or the 3M kit will work fine.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoCheese View Post
Funny, just today I went out to Kragen and bought a Meguiar's headlight Restoration kit. I would have rather used the 3M, but they were out. Anyways, it comes with a pad you put on a drill, some PlastX, and a microfiber towel. You put some plastX on the pad, drill your headlights for about 20 minutes each, wipe it off, and wax it off one more time with more PlastX and the towel. I did it today and my headlights are 100x better. But either this or the 3M kit will work fine.
I've also had a great experience with Meguiar's headlight restoration kit. I highly recommend it for inexperienced detailers before they dabble around in sandpaper and what not.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwivelHips View Post
Interesting product, looks like a wet-sanding, then perhaps some sort of acrylic filler

Most people use a PlastX or similar OR a detailer showed me last year to use just a medium-cut polish and a Porter-Cable power polisher. IMO that is the way to go.
That's what I do to my headlights with my porter cable, I just use the same polishes I use on the rest of my car. Followed by sealant and wax .

But I guess these kits are good for people who don't have a buffer.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:21 AM
I have a Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer and white & Black Lake country pads. Which polishes and wax do you use?
Old 02-14-2010, 11:29 AM
I think I used Menzerna PO85RD and an orange or white pad, but I think most any like a PO106ff/fa would also do. I wouldn't go out and buy something specifically for headlights, just use whatever polish/sealant/wax you have or intend to buy for your paint. See the detailing section for eleventy bezillion choices and opinions.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:01 PM
^+1. I use the same products! Haha Menzerna products ftw
Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 AM
the kit works great +1 here
Old 02-16-2010, 01:39 AM
I use a headlight restorer at my workplace. They work good on most cars. I've used it on the G and my old S2K and it worked great.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoCheese View Post
I used the same thing on all my cars and it was the best $20 I ever spent at Wal-Mart =)
Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 PM
My local tire shop had a display on their counter for a 3M headlight restore service. It was $70, so I said, why not. Best $70 I've spent in a long time. I have an 04 and the headlights were pretty jacked. When they got done, they looked brand new....no joke, brand new! IMO, they have the air rotary tools, restoration kit, etc., so I let them do it. They spent about 1.5 hours on it, but there's no telling how long it would have taken me. I highly recommend looking for a local shop that has the 3M kit and letting them do it for you. let them take the responsibility of possibly scratching the paint. The place I went to taped off the surrounding paint before starting the process. MAKE SURE THEY TAPE THE PAINT AROUND YOUR HEADLIGHTS!!!! As long as you find a place you trust, I highly recommend this method. Just make sure you stand over them and make sure they're treating your car nice!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonmc2 View Post
My local tire shop had a display on their counter for a 3M headlight restore service. It was $70, so I said, why not. Best $70 I've spent in a long time. I have an 04 and the headlights were pretty jacked. When they got done, they looked brand new....no joke, brand new! IMO, they have the air rotary tools, restoration kit, etc., so I let them do it. They spent about 1.5 hours on it, but there's no telling how long it would have taken me. I highly recommend looking for a local shop that has the 3M kit and letting them do it for you. let them take the responsibility of possibly scratching the paint. The place I went to taped off the surrounding paint before starting the process. MAKE SURE THEY TAPE THE PAINT AROUND YOUR HEADLIGHTS!!!! As long as you find a place you trust, I highly recommend this method. Just make sure you stand over them and make sure they're treating your car nice!
I had the exact same thing done to my car from a body shop. They taped around my headlights and wetsanded and buffed it with a polishing compound. My lights were very very yellow and now they look brand new. I have before and after pics
Attached Thumbnails
Has anyone used the Headlight Restoration Kit?-dsc00853.jpg Has anyone used the Headlight Restoration Kit?-dsc00855.jpg
Old 03-24-2010, 01:02 AM
you really don't have to buy the kit just wetsand and then use buffing compounds and you get the same result
Old 03-28-2010, 04:49 PM
did u guys wetsand the headlights first? or just use whatver is in the kit? i bought a kit and plan on doing mine tomorrow, but do i need to wetsand them first?