DIY: WRP Under-Drive Lightweight Crank Pulley installed - Page 2 - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • DIY: WRP Under-Drive Lightweight Crank Pulley installed

DIY: WRP Under-Drive Lightweight Crank Pulley installed

Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM
If you've ever built engines you would understand. The rotating assembly (on a proper build) is balanced. The OEM assembly is balanced with the stock harmonic balancer and therefore I cannot justify possibly wrecking my engine by throwing off the balance for ~10whp at the most. Cooler weather can do that for you without harm.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valetkyle View Post
If you've ever built engines you would understand. The rotating assembly (on a proper build) is balanced. The OEM assembly is balanced with the stock harmonic balancer and therefore I cannot justify possibly wrecking my engine by throwing off the balance for ~10whp at the most. Cooler weather can do that for you without harm.
Yes, a properly built engine is balanced, and even then the stock pulley provides dampening that is lacking with MOST aftermarket UDPs. There are manufacturers that make UDPs with dampeners, but I don't know if anyone makes one for the G35. For the Z, Fisher makes one, but they're pretty expensive.

I've never used one, but I know plenty of people that do. I feel the same as you - I don't want to take that risk for a mere 10 HP.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Red Card Crew
So what's your take on lightened flywheels? Their mass and diamter make a much bigger influence on the harmonics than a small pulley would.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:21 PM
aren't lightened flywheels the same diameter as oem otherwise you would have a starting problem since the starter will not mesh properly if they are not.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Red Card Crew
It's not the dia change. It's the fact that people use light flywheels with no apparent concerns. Also the flywheel dia is alot larger than a pulley so any slight harmonic changes are bigger in a flywheel. On top of it all, light flywheels typically represent 8-15 lbs of mas reduction vs just 3-5 with a pulley. If there's any upset in balancing, I'd think it would be on the flywheel side and not the pulley side.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 AM
Damn that watermark on the photos is really annoying!! Next time make it lighter.
Anyways, glad to hear you feel a difference! I'm surprised there arent more people with this mod! I must now do research!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:15 AM
Ohio G Club moderator
we need dyno numbers,to see if its worth the time and the effort
Old 03-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_G35 View Post
Damn that watermark on the photos is really annoying!! Next time make it lighter.
Anyways, glad to hear you feel a difference! I'm surprised there arent more people with this mod! I must now do research!
+1 on the watermark, that crap is super annoying!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I did the install today and there is a significant difference between the stock/UD pulley; this thread helped out a lot; 12mm sockets are needed for the long tensioner bolts, 14mm sockets for the pullies and the shorter belts are a must; when I bought the pulley I was told the stock belts would work and they don't.

I broke a 3/8 ratchet and a 1/2 adapter trying to get the crank bolt out...I used a 1/2 breaker bar, cheater bar and the bumping over of the engine to get the crank bolt loose.
I had to bump the engine 2-3 times.

I will see how it feels after driving it the upcoming week.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Took mine off a few weeks ago. The lease is running to an end and I'm getting ready to turn the G back in to the dealer. Anybody want my pulley and belts?

I've got a few other things that I'll be posting in the wanted section.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:43 PM
What brand is yours and how did it look?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Pulley: WRP.
Belts: Dyaco

I installed it last April. This is my installation thread so you can see the pix from the start of this thread.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Gotcha..mine was made by OBX..hopefully it holds up!
Old 06-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f r e z N Y View Post
Took mine off a few weeks ago. The lease is running to an end and I'm getting ready to turn the G back in to the dealer. Anybody want my pulley and belts?

I've got a few other things that I'll be posting in the wanted section.
still available?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Did you order your wps pulley online? Have a website?