DIY: cam position sensors - Page 2 - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • DIY: cam position sensors

DIY: cam position sensors

Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 PM
yup... after the first time it happened to me i thought it might be the throttle position so i did the reset on it and after a few miles of driving it did the same thing again. after this time the christmas lights on my dash stayed on so i left the car on when i got home and scanned it, saw the famous code P0340 and searched here. This DIY doesnt pop up when you just search camshaft position sensors or P0430 its linked on 2 diff threads.

Mine showed a loss of power on Thursday in about 3rd gear (auto) it shut off on friday and struggled to start. Then later it shut off after the throttle reset reset and I scanned it, didnt drive it till i installed the new sensor. Didnt wanna force anything out of my engine.

THANKS FOR THE DIY
Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 PM
doesnt show up in search because its labled cam position sensor instead of camshaft. i guess
Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM
is this a similar diy for the 07's
Old 12-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Nice write up indeed!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 PM
GREAT POST - Lousy customer service from Infiniti....

I have a couple of things to say.
First, I would like to thank the author of this post!!!!
What an amazing job with this!!! It's forums like this that help those who choose to do the maintenance themself, to save a boatload of money. I just really want to thank the author for his time to voluntarily put this up to help Infiniti drivers out.

Second, I will probably never buy an Infiniti again, because of the experiences I have had with recalls on the Infiniti G35. There is a definite recall on this issue, and I spent a couple of hours (both with Infiniti consumer affairs as well as the dealership) trying to plead with Infiniti to cover something that is listed as a safety hazard. I was on my way to the dealership yesterday, and the car stalled out when the light turned green, and then cut off again while moving. Just last week when it first happened, it shut off on the expressway. Personally, if I had enough time I would consider getting a lawyer and getting the backing of the nhtsa.gov. I really wouldnt doubt it if a class action lawsuit develops over this. It's clear to me that Infiniti does not care for their customers nor their safety. However, with that being said, it is what it is and it's not worth pursuing that route, for me. I work too hard and have other things to pursue, for something I could correct myself. However, As a consumer I have a choice and although I love this car, I dont like all the quirks that come with the 2003 G35.

That being said and on a positive note, THANKS to the author for helping those of us save the money and do it ourself with no thanks to Infiniti.

Also, on another note. Has anyone had any problems with getting the dang wiring harness to seperate and pull off of the camshaft sensor. I have the Technical Service bulletin and they even mention that it most likely will be difficult. I am pressing the green plastic clip but the dang thing will not release. Anyone experience this and how did you get the harness plug off.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the DIY

Thank you for the pictures also! I just fixed mine today... so far so good...
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Just replaced mine (bank 1, passenger side) today. A couple of tips from my experience.

First, I was able to replace mine without removing the plenum. I didn't see that anyone else had mentioned that in this thread, but I think I saw it in another thread in the forum, which is why I decided to try that route first. That saved a ton of time.

Secondly, it took me a while to figure out how to actually get a tool on the sensor bolt with the plenum on. What finally ended up working for me was a 3/8" drive socket wrench with a 3" extension and a standard (as opposed to deep) 10mm socket. I've attached a pic of this -- hopefully it's clear in the pic how I got the socket on the bolt and ran the wrench down behind the bulky wiring harness coming from the battery compartment. I found that it's much easier to unbolt/remove the sensor first and then unplug the connector/harness rather than trying to unplug the connector and then unbolt the sensor. In fact, it may be impossible to do it without unbolting the sensor first.

Regarding unplugging the connector, kmj1268's comment above states how difficult it is, to which I can attest. It's very counter-intuitive:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmj1268 View Post
Has anyone had any problems with getting the dang wiring harness to seperate and pull off of the camshaft sensor. I have the Technical Service bulletin and they even mention that it most likely will be difficult. I am pressing the green plastic clip but the dang thing will not release. Anyone experience this and how did you get the harness plug off.
Member Evan78 posted exactly how to do this in another thread on the same topic, which can be seen here. Channel locks to release the connector were the magic tool. His post includes this tip, along with several other helpful pointers.

Thanks to all who have contributed. Hopefully this is useful info for somebody!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: cam position sensors-eos-rebel-t1i_0657.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mark95tt For This Useful Post:
dj714 (10-05-2012), Rockst*r-G (12-29-2011)
Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the photo and the channellock advice . worked great
Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
thanks for the write up!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Is the wiring harness being moved via the whole bracket being unbolted or is it held in by that clip that needs to be disconnected? I can't figure out how to move this and I am doing it now.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Old 09-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Well, I wasn't able to figure it out, so i moved it using brute force, bent the bracket a bit with a screwdriver while a friend of mine to the socket on the bolt head.

Got it all back together and did the ECU reset. No CEL yet, so i think i did this correctly. time will tell...

great DIY and to the guy who said to use channel locks on the connector...awesome idea, came apart instantly.

Thanks for this write up, could not have done this without it.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
good write up. However you don't have to do any of this to change the sensors. you can reach your hand down from the top if you are a smaller person OR if you are normal size you can jack the car up and get them from the bottom (easiest way, takes 10 minutes or less). Simply jack the car up and get under it, look up and locate the sensors on the back of the block and change them.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 AM
i am having the same issue with my 2010 g37 what did the dealer do?? did they fix it?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Thanks for this write up. It helped me immensely. My 2004 G35 coupe was starting hard when it was warm and today it just quit driving down the road. Left it cool for 10 minutes and was able to get it started and made it home. Checked the code and got P0430. Replaced that camshaft module and it worked. Took 30 minutes and probably saved $300 and/or the pain of going through the recall procedure. Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Banned
great writeup. helped a ton