How much coolant do I need for drain/refill? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • How much coolant do I need for drain/refill?

How much coolant do I need for drain/refill?

Old 01-09-2009, 01:04 AM
How much coolant do I need for drain/refill?

Hi all,

I plan to pick up a few 1 gallon jug of prestone 50/50 to do the coolant drain/refill once the weather gets a little warmer. From the manual it said the car has 9.25 qt with reservior tank. 1 gallon is equal to 4 quarts so the procedure should require over 2 gallons but less than 3. Just wanted to double check with you experts. My G is 4 yrs old with 29k miles.

Sorry...but couple more questions. Where do I dispose anti-freeze? Can I just bring it to the mechanic shops like oil?

I also need to purchase two washers (for drain plug and air relief plug). I have the part #. Do you guys go to Infiniti to buy them or Nissan? Or it shouldn't matter at all?

Thanks...
Old 01-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeee2 View Post
Hi all,

I plan to pick up a few 1 gallon jug of prestone 50/50 to do the coolant drain/refill once the weather gets a little warmer. From the manual it said the car has 9.25 qt with reservior tank. 1 gallon is equal to 4 quarts so the procedure should require over 2 gallons but less than 3. Just wanted to double check with you experts. My G is 4 yrs old with 29k miles.

Sorry...but couple more questions. Where do I dispose anti-freeze? Can I just bring it to the mechanic shops like oil?

I also need to purchase two washers (for drain plug and air relief plug). I have the part #. Do you guys go to Infiniti to buy them or Nissan? Or it shouldn't matter at all?

Thanks...
I would HIGHLY recommend using the OEM coolant since it is specifically formulated to work with the materials our cooling system / water pump is comprised of. Pick up one gallon of distilled water and one gallon of coolant, you will have about .5 gallons left when you are done.

The part # for the air relief plug and radiator drain plug o-rings is:
INF 21481-89900

approx $2.25 each + tax retail cost
The Following User Says Thank You to bythabay For This Useful Post:
abrecos (03-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bythabay View Post
I would HIGHLY recommend using the OEM coolant since it is specifically formulated to work with the materials our cooling system / water pump is comprised of. Pick up one gallon of distilled water and one gallon of coolant, you will have about .5 gallons left when you are done.

The part # for the air relief plug and radiator drain plug o-rings is:
INF 21481-89900

approx $2.25 each + tax retail cost
Interesting. So if it only requires 1.5 gallon (6 quart) that means it doesn't drain everything?
Old 01-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Interesting. So if it only requires 1.5 gallon (6 quart) that means it doesn't drain everything?
Yes, that' correct. Coolant will still remain in the hoses, engine block, etc.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Yes, that' correct. Coolant will still remain in the hoses, engine block, etc.
Thanks for all your replies (including replies from the DIY thread).
Old 01-10-2009, 03:21 PM
yeah, definitely get OEM solution...expensive but worth it.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMBG35 View Post
yeah, definitely get OEM solution...expensive but worth it.
Hmmm...I really don't mind paying the more expensive OEM coolant. Just seems like a bit of a hassle having to buy distilled water and an extra jug to mix in the fluids. Some people on this forum also uses prestone and said it's fine. Well, I am not doing it yet so I'll consider the OEM coolant as well.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Just seems like a bit of a hassle having to buy distilled water and an extra jug to mix in the fluids.
Don't be lazy when it comes to car work; do it right the first time. I think that's the most important thing I could tell anyone.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Don't be lazy when it comes to car work; do it right the first time. I think that's the most important thing I could tell anyone.
Haha...good point Unfortunately, for the last 4 yrs I've been pouring Prestone in everytime it goes a little under Max. I would think by now, there's a good quart or two of Prestone mixed in.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Haha...good point Unfortunately, for the last 4 yrs I've been pouring Prestone in everytime it goes a little under Max. I would think by now, there's a good quart or two of Prestone mixed in.

I think a more important issue now is why you are loosing coolant.. do you have a leak somewhere? The level is not supposed to change much, or even at all.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Quote:
I think a more important issue now is why you are loosing coolant.. do you have a leak somewhere? The level is not supposed to change much, or even at all.
Really? all the cars I've own in the past are like that. A quart or two may be a little exaggerated over 4 yrs but usually every 3 months or so, all my car's coolant level would go down about 1/4 inch or so under Max.

I always think it's normal that it consumes coolant like that. My G was doing that from day 1. I have a used Sentra that I bought last year and I do a similar Prestone top off every 3 months or so. Technically, it's only a little under Max and I don't really have to top it off but I've always been doing it.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Really? all the cars I've own in the past are like that. A quart or two may be a little exaggerated over 4 yrs but usually every 3 months or so, all my car's coolant level would go down about 1/4 inch or so under Max.

I always think it's normal that it consumes coolant like that. My G was doing that from day 1.
My vehicles don't consume any coolant whatsoever. I have 2 Toyotas and this Nissan (G35). The toyotas both have over 300k miles; the G has 70k. Might want to make sure there are no leaks as my coolant level does not change.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Quote:
My vehicles don't consume any coolant whatsoever. I have 2 Toyotas and this Nissan (G35). The toyotas both have over 300k miles; the G has 70k. Might want to make sure there are no leaks as my coolant level does not change.
Sorry, I edited the previous post a little after you posted this reply. I really don't see a leak, otherwise I would see green stuff on the garage floor or the under body plastic guard.

I've been topping off coolant on all my cars in the past / present.
1990 M/T Eagle Talon Tsi
1992 M/T Honda Accord Ex
2001 A/T Nissan Sentra Gxe
2005 A/T Infiniti G35x
Old 01-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Sorry, I edited the previous post a little after you posted this reply. I really don't see a leak, otherwise I would see green stuff on the garage floor or the under body plastic guard.

I've been topping off coolant on all my cars in the past / present.
1990 M/T Eagle Talon Tsi
1992 M/T Honda Accord Ex
2001 A/T Nissan Sentra Gxe
2005 A/T Infiniti G35x
It might have something to do with your climate. I know New York can be very hot.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Quote:
It might have something to do with your climate. I know New York can be very hot.
Hmmm...very possible. We get extreme heat and extreme cold. 4 season weather. Maybe some other Northeastern people can chime in.

Since you are in West coast, you probably get similar weather year round.