31lbs. OEM Dual Mass Flywheel vs 27lbs. Single Mass Flyweel? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • 31lbs. OEM Dual Mass Flywheel vs 27lbs. Single Mass Flyweel?

31lbs. OEM Dual Mass Flywheel vs 27lbs. Single Mass Flyweel?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM
31lbs. OEM Dual Mass Flywheel vs 27lbs. Single Mass Flyweel?

Hello everyone,

I'm about to purchase a clutch flywheel package very soon so any input will be greatly appreciated. Just to set the parameters I'd be using the Exedy Stage 1 OEM clutch on a bone stock G. I was just curious if there would be any kind of performance upgrade or downgrade whatsoever if I decided to go with a 27 pound single steel mass flywheel over the stock OEM 31 pound flywheel. Since their weight is relatively close I figured it would be a fairly even comparison. I'm hypothesizing that chatter would be almost null to even since both flywheels are so heavy. So besides price would their be any advantage to using the steel SMF over the OEM DMF? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
If you switch to a single mass you will get chatter. It is really anoying. I had the JWT flywheel and I always regretted it.

Honestly if you are just stock and not going crazy on performance, I would just stick with the OEM flywheel. The slight benefit you get from a light weight flywheel isnt worth the annoying chatter you always deal with.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. From everything I've read, it seems that just about everyone on this forum is having chatter issues with the JWT package. Maybe that's because its a 14lbs. flywheel and does not dampen the chatter sound like the massive 31lbs. OEM flywheel. For a single mass OEM replacement flywheel, 27lbs. is the heaviest I've seen. That would seem to be the closest thing to the 31lbs stock flywheel as far as weight. Is it also safe to say that correlation of chatter to flywheel weight will increase as the flywheel weight goes down? Therefore creating the same effect in the opposite direction if the flywheel weight goes up? Please don't let these questions sidetrack my original question above for this thread. I'm still looking for opinions on that as well. Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:33 AM
If you do any single mass you will get chatter. It isn't a weight issue it is a design issue. Dual mass flywheels are specifly designed for each car and must be matched to the engine torque curve, engine resonant characteristics, and vehicle load curve. They work by having a set of springs inserted between two rotating masses (thus dual mass). The springs are sized to soak up some of the resonant vibration from the engine under load conditions. The dual masses are forced outwards by centrifical force to counter the vibrations. None can be acomplished with a single mass, no matter how heavy it is.

If you are going for heavy performance, get a light weight single mass, then learn to live with the chatter. If the car is going to just be a daily driver with simple bolt ones, do yourself a favor and keep your OEM dual mass. It isnt worth the headache for the very very slight performance advantage.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanked 1,439 Times in 1,129 Posts
I just put in the Jim Wolf Technology clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throw out, SS clutch line, and NISMO pivot bearing and ball pivot yesterday. So far the clutch works great, the chatter is there, but not that bad, but WOW, I'm gonna need to toughen up my left leg! The force needed to work the pedal is about three times what it was.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Ok sir, I can contribute on this one but first you'll have to lock and load your flame gear. This chatter that everyone speaks of is really not that bad at all. I went into this mod thinking the same way you are right now; so worried about the clutch chatter, HP ratings and what not. In the end I was very happy with my decision.

In my boosted Z I put down around 430BHP and chose the ACT Ultra Light Flywheel (14lbs) with the OEM clutch. It held perfectly fine, no slippage, and NO CHATTER. I actually discovered that my Nitto INVO’s were louder than this “clutch chatter” that everyone speaks of.

Now for the part that deserved the flame gear. Is your dam& search button broke? You lazy …. We just finished talking about this a week ago. Did you not read the dam& threads? Put that dam& pizza down and use some freaking key strokes to search… SEARCH! …. LOL

I hope I was able to assist you with your issue. !
Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 AM
^^ me too.. i just had my JWT clutch/flywheel combo from COZ with all the goodies mentioned above.. my car must have been a chatter box already with the stock clutch because i don't hear much difference.. i just got a new motor due to the oil consumption and i cannot really get on it, but the pedal feel feels barely different than stock driving mellow below 4k rpm and under 85mph..
for me.. practically no difference.. maybe it has to break in or something.. we'll c..
Old 01-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InShAllAh View Post

Now for the part that deserved the flame gear. Is your dam& search button broke? You lazy …. We just finished talking about this a week ago. Did you not read the dam& threads? Put that dam& pizza down and use some freaking key strokes to search… SEARCH! ….
As you can see from my post count, I have been on here a few years. I can attest (though some will not agree) that the search here is USELESS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texasscout For This Useful Post:
Eirik (06-12-2017)
Old 01-09-2010, 02:06 PM
^ I can somewhat agree. There is a ****-ton more, of information on my350. I just hate the crowd on that forum.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Hello and Thank You again for your replies. InShallah - I appreciate your opinion with this matter and I'm not offended. I can understand where you and others might think I'm not using the search part of this forum, but believe me that's all I've been doing. So much that it seems as though I'm getting deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole. I know that you are just trying to help and that's what counts.

I don't want to make this terribly long, but basically I live overseas. I work for the government and I've had my G since the end of 2004. I've been living in Germany for 5 years, but have since then moved to Turkey. When I lived in Germany I redlined my G and managed to hit 150+ on a daily basis. I never had any problems other than routine maintenance and passenger side motor going out. Well, there were only a few G's at that time. Even today there aren't many. Just in case you guys are wondering, our cars are awesome for autobahn driving, and unless it was an M3 or a porsche most things wouldn't hold up to our cars. My biggest worry was if something went wrong and I had to fix something. Luckily I try to take care of it the best I can.

Well now I live in Turkey. There are no G's here at all. In Germany it was very unique and special. Well it's like times 10 here in Turkey. The problem is I'm weary about the shops here and if they will even know what to do with my car. There is a nissan shop like 30 mins away and they are very excited about having to do anything with the car. The can look up stuff online, but I've never even seen a 350Z here. I was told its way too expensive for them to have cars like these because of the horsepower. In a city of 2 million there should be at least one Z right? But, there's not. It's not exactly a booming economy, and a car like the G would cost them over $100,000 easily. Very strange actually.

Anyway to get to the point, I don't have anyone else that really knows much about our cars around here. No one even owns a G or a Z. I don't want to make a mistake, wait for it to get shipped here, cause some problems and try to fix a bunch of other stuff as well.

When I tried the search button it seems as though I'm not putting in the right keywords for what I'm looking for. But, from what I gather so far on this thread is that the flywheel chatter is due from switching to a single mass flywheel regardless of weight...correct? Well, I did get part of answer I was looking for on this thread from "WhosUrBuddiee" . I think you are the first person to say it that the dual mass flywheel is effective against flywheel chatter due to design... regardless of weight. I thought it was just a weight issue, therefore logically I figured if you just get a single mass flywheel that is similiar in weight, the flywheel chatter would again be dampened. I thought the design of the dual mass was just relevant to shifting gears and the clutch disk contacting the flywheel.

After lots of search time I came across a vendor name SPEC. And he mentioned in numerous posts about the weight of the flywheel being the major factor in flywheel chatter. So because of my searching its brought up a ton of questions. One being is there a correlation between flywheel weight and engine chatter? It's seems so, but its difficult to know for sure since it loudness is so subjective and for what one person thinks is too loud another might not.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm still learning and this forum has definately been very helpful.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:27 PM
You have come to the right place. There are so many people that have "been there, done that" on our cars. I know how you feel about being the only one around. When I got mine in Feb 2005, I could count the number of G's in my area on one hand. Now, there are maybe 20 or so. That's within a 50 mile radius of me.

Don't be afraid to ask away here. There are no stupid questions (ignorant maybe, due to lack of automotive experience) here.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:47 PM

****.... Uhhhhh..... OK I guess.... LOL

I fell ya bro. I guess that was a premature statement; I didn't see your join date to post ratio..... You’re an OG in my book! LOL How’s that sand box going buddy? I personally miss it. HUMINT work is hard to find on the Civ sector. I have been on these forums for as long as you have also just with other screen names... if you don't get you answer here check my350. My advice, go with the single mass it's not that bad. My flywheel was 14lbs. It worked and sounded fine.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm curious.....why is spec allowed to so thoroughly blanket clutch related questions on this forum and solicit business w/o being a vendor. Sorry, but it annoys me. Their clutches are notoriously problematic.....particularly the twin plates (not that it applies to you).

That being said....I run an OS Giken (8-9lb flywheel) and the chatter is more significant than most other apps, but the response is ridiculous. It's not cheap, but the whole assembly (clutch disk, pressure plate, sub-assembly, throwout bearing, and flywheel) weighs 27lbs......4 less than the weight of the stock flywheel alone.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Seems pretty pointless, if you were going to go that far, might as well get the JWT setup. Its pretty great too, when its time for you to change the clutch, you can get a new friction surface for 50 bucks, instead of getting a new flywheel or being given grief for trying to turn it.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 PM
I have just brought LUK OEM flywheel for 06' g35 and it weighs 26.84lbs.I weighed it myself
Made in china is the famous slogan here, hope it is worth for the money!
Since when Luk makes OEM parts in China. Otherhand i am not surprised, everubody is calculating expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhiro View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm about to purchase a clutch flywheel package very soon so any input will be greatly appreciated. Just to set the parameters I'd be using the Exedy Stage 1 OEM clutch on a bone stock G. I was just curious if there would be any kind of performance upgrade or downgrade whatsoever if I decided to go with a 27 pound single steel mass flywheel over the stock OEM 31 pound flywheel. Since their weight is relatively close I figured it would be a fairly even comparison. I'm hypothesizing that chatter would be almost null to even since both flywheels are so heavy. So besides price would their be any advantage to using the steel SMF over the OEM DMF? Thanks for your help.