Rebuilding an alternator? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Rebuilding an alternator?

Rebuilding an alternator?

Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 AM
Rebuilding an alternator?

So I have a bad feeling after replacing three batteries that my alternator is more then likely going out. I start my car up and leave it on for like 15 minutes every other day. (I don't drive my car much, so I just start it up daily) And sometimes when I'm driving the car will start, and sometimes it won't. I've been told by a lot of old school mechanics to just rebuild my alternator or do something with my voltage regulator. I don't know if anyone has done this before, but replacing an alternator for my G35 is just going to drive me nuts!!

I still have to replace my transverse links, and fix a leak in my rack and pinion. I'm trying to save as much money as I can now, this car is starting to eat up a lot of my money and I don't even drive it!

My question is, has anyone experienced this issue? Anything else I should check? I need some real suggestions!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 AM
The goblin resurrection
Bust out a multimeter and see what the voltage is should be around 14.x also a trick that works is when the car is running, pull the positive cable off, and if the car dies that means the alt is not working correctly and is relying on the battery voltage.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Yeah, tried disconnecting the battery car runs fine. This is my 4th battery! I haven't had a chance to test it with a multimeter. I will do it tommarow morning.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Using the volt meter will be a good way to check.

One note, just starting up the car and letting it idle does not really charge up the battery. The alternator doesnt really kick on till 1000 rpm. The voltage regulator is built inside the alternator, so you can't do anything with it unless you rebuild the alternator.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRYDE View Post
Using the volt meter will be a good way to check.

One note, just starting up the car and letting it idle does not really charge up the battery. The alternator doesnt really kick on till 1000 rpm. The voltage regulator is built inside the alternator, so you can't do anything with it unless you rebuild the alternator.
Do you know where I can buy the pieces to rebuild it? I think I fixed the issue, I have reason to believe my installer drained my battery when he installed my Clifford 50.5x install or something. Don't quote me on this right now lol, I just installed the Viper 5901 and I did a sick *** job. My previous 50.5x had a backup battery, maybe that was trying to steal all the energy?

I also installed a new grounding kit, I want to test for any dimming but my car is still in pieces.

Note to self: I am never paying a installer ever again lol, I have the worst experiences. I asked if he was going to solder and tape everything, I go back tear out my alarm to upgrade to the Viper 5901, nothing was soldered. Everything fell apart as I started taking out my alarm. (He's a VERY known installer but I don't want to put him out >.>)