Swap vq's z to g35 - Page 2 - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Swap vq's z to g35

Swap vq's z to g35

Old 11-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG_G35 View Post
I have a 05 g35 coupe had a revup motor and the motor blew. So I picked up a motor from an 04 350z motor trans harness and ecu. So I swapped everything in my g and the car won't start. The z motor was running when I pulled it out. There no spark or fuel and I've went back and forth with the ecu's nothing. I've checked all the fuses and everything is connected. Car still won't start. Anybody have any idea?? Lmk thanks!
Ancient thread, but on the off chance that you (or anyone knowledgeable) reads this:

Were you able to resolve this? Iím fighting a similar issue. Alarm light (red one on the dash to the left of the instrument cluster) is on and not flashing with the key in the ďONĒ position. No power to the OBD port, but the cigarette lighter has power.

With the ECU from the 350Z, no power to the ignition coil harness connectors. With the (original, matches my keys) ECU, power to the coil harness but only 1.3V. Shouldnít it be around 12? No spark in any case.

All the interior stuff - nav, dash lights, etc. - works. Iíd chalk this up to anti theft, but since the OBD port isnít getting power, scanners and diagnostic tools canít connect.

Car was sitting for nearly two years. Iím about to go probe the ECU connector to check power and grounds.

If anyone has any suggestions, please speak up!
Old 11-19-2017, 12:25 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
If you downgrade from the revup to the non-rev motor you have to rewire the ECU harness because the pin layout isn't the same. Snag both FSM's and compare the harnesses you'll see.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Thanks. I have the FSM for my 06, looking for the one for the 05 350Z. I'm guessing that it should be the same as the 04 G35, hopefully. Looking forward to rewiring a 150-ish pin harness connector. :/

The funny thing is that, even with the computer that came with this engine and harness - JDM from an 05 350Z -, there's no power to the OBD port. I'm tracing through the wiring diagrams, still trying to figure out which fuse is for what in the fuse and relay block behind the battery.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:28 PM
And, now looking at the harnesses in the passenger compartment and connections to the engine harness, I see they're VERY different. This'll be fun.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:58 PM
After a little more research and crawling all over the car: I'm wondering if it makes more sense to swap out the wiring harness on this engine - replace it with the one from the rev-up. I'm building a map of which wires need to be moved, and it's non-trivial, to put it lightly.

But, getting the harness off with the engine in the car might also be non-trivial. Now, where'd my flashlight go...

And, then there's the issue of how the ECU will deal with not being able to talk to the missing VVT components. I found this thread:

http://rupromenergo.ru/forums/g35-cou...non-revup.html

Which indicates that the car will run, but will throw a CEL. I'm okay with that. The other harness would also give me back the variable-assist steering that's missing from the 350Z harness, and I wouldn't have to worry about the antitheft BS and getting keys reprogrammed. There's also no guarantee that there's a 1:1 relationship between the Z harness and the G harness. The smaller of the two white connectors in the passenger foot well has quite a few more lines going to it on the G harness...

Guess I better get started.

I'd love to hear from anyone that's done this before.

Last edited by raygun; 11-19-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:28 PM
In case anyone else winds up trying this:

I wound up using the G35 engine harness, 350Z ECM and (duh) 350Z non-rev motor. I didn’t have to splice the harness at all, though there are four extra connectors I had to protect against the elements. They’re for the rev-up VVT sensors and actuators that aren’t present on the donor engine. I had planned to use the G35 ECM, but I think I fried it at some point. Shrug.

I had to reprogram the ECM due to NATS. I did this with a VAG-K OBD2 cable and Nissan DataScan (NDS) software. (About $50 if I remember correctly, much cheaper than a trip to the dealer!) On your BCM - driver’s side footwell near the dead pedal - there is a 5-digit hex code labeled ‘PIN code’. There are a number of apps available that will convert that code to a 4-digit code that NDS needs to reprogram the car. I found a free web-based tool somewhere, can’t find the link at the moment, but it worked fine. Worst case is you pay someone on justAnswer to decode it for you.

The only real issue was that my car has 6-wire wideband downstream O2 sensors, while the donor engine had 4-wire narrow band sensors. I just swapped the wide bands over to the new engine and, oddly enough, the 350Z ECM reads them just fine. I’m a software guy; I’m not surprised the ECM *can* do that, more shocked that it *does* without modifications.

I have a CEL due to the missing VVT components, but I’m not super-worried about it. Car runs fine, no noticeable power difference.

So, to all those that said you can’t replace a rev-up with a non-rev VQ:

Well, you can.

Also: the NDS software is *awesome.* Being able to do things like deactivate individual cylinders (for testing spark and fuel), see the output of basically every sensor on the car, etc. is incredibly helpful when debugging the car. I’d say it’s as good, or better than, HP Tuners (for my other GM car), and about 1/10th the price. It's not as capable as a real Consult II, but it did everything I needed for this swap.

Last edited by raygun; 01-05-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Added a note about NDS
Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
You have proven us wrong!

Glad you were able to get everything running again, I hate to see G's turn to dust.
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
raygun (01-04-2018)