Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • turbo vs supercharger

turbo vs supercharger

Old 01-14-2004, 01:40 AM
turbo vs supercharger

just a quick question:

what is the difference between turbo and supercharger?
what are the pros and cons of each?
why do you need a twin turbo?

Old 01-14-2004, 02:15 AM
Re: turbo vs supercharger

Best thing to do for this post is do a search. This has been driven to the ground on this forum many times but here are some fast answers:

1) Supercharger - belt driven
Turbo Charger - exhaust driven

2) There are lots of pros and cons for both please do a search on them. In a nutshell
SC- Pro: no lag and linear power curve
Con: Puts load on the engine since it's driven by belt. Cannot adjust PSI on the fly

Turbo- Pro: Very effecient, uses exhaust gases to drive turbine. Can adjust PSI on the fly.
Con: Boost lag, takes the engine a certain RPM until the full tubine kicks in.

Why do you need Twin Turbo setup: The G35 is a V6 and it is generally easier to twin turbo a V6. Since the engine is in a V shape, the placement of turbos on each side of the V as shown oVo
doesn't take a lot of complex piping to achieve this.

But you don't need a twin turbo setup. It's just easier...

You can also single turbo a V6, but it will take a lot of piping to do this to connect all six exhaust outlets to the single turbo. Plus looking at our limited space in the G35 engine bay, it's not very easy.

- Don't argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.=P-
Old 01-14-2004, 03:05 AM

Yeah, there is a TON of info about this topic all over the net. I know the SE-R List has had this discussion MANY MANY times (In the case of the 2.0L motor, the turbo is MUCH better).

With all the advancements in import turbo technology over the couple years turbo lag is seriously decreasing as turbo efficiency is increasing. There's a couple new Garrett GT turbos (like the GT28RS) that are simply amazing. the GT28RS on a 2.0L Nissan motor equates to almost zero lag and in upwards of 300fwhp with no drop off at higher rpms!
Sorry, didn't mean to bore you guys with 4 cylinder gibberish...

Another thing to think about when boosting the G35 is its high compression ratio. That's unfortunately going to limit how much boost you can run with normal 91 octane gas.
The lower the compression, the more boost friendly a motor will become, given the same octane gas. Custom pistons with a compression ratio around 8.3-8.5:1 would be great for a boosted G35.... I'm curious how long it'll take before someone develops a set? Probalby once G35's start running out of factory warranty they'll start to become an option, i'd guess?

Justin McClanahan
Heavily Modified 95 Infiniti G20
Working on a G35 Project Coupe
->
Old 01-14-2004, 10:03 AM

they are already alvalible. i will find th link and post it. there are 2 differerent companies making 81 pistons and then Power enterprise made a set of 71 pistons that will be availible soon. remeber any pistons for the VG35 will work on ours also so all the 350Z's internal modifications work for us as well. I know IM-Racing has some pistons on there site under the 350Z but there was a site i was thinking of that had new connecting rods as well. i will try and find the link and post it when i do

<a href="mailto:[email protected]</a>
Old 01-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Premier Member

You also might want to remember that superchargers are probabbly easier to install then turbos because they run off the Engine's pulleys like a parasite.

Thanks - Joey Avino
Old 01-14-2004, 01:47 PM

Look .

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT

Old 01-14-2004, 02:06 PM

Not VG35...It's VQ35...

SGPRacing.com has internal upgrades for 8.5:1 Forged Pistons...Pauter Rods...Titanium Retainers and Main head and studs...

Old 01-14-2004, 04:49 PM

Cool, I'll have to go check those internals out. I figured there were probably already some places working on the parts, but I haven't seen anything in my very limited searches so far...

I wonder how much more displacement is possible with larger pistons, maybe with sleeves? I see those are .20 over currently... Sorry, I'll stop cluttering the forum up with dreams of a big bore, big boost turbo VQ... =)

Thanks for the info!

Justin McClanahan
Heavily Modified 95 Infiniti G20
Working on a G35 Project Coupe
-&gt;
Old 01-15-2004, 02:49 AM

A supercharger is driven by the crankshaft of the engine, while a turbocharger is a turbine driven by exhaust gases. Superchargers provide less boost than Turbochargers, but provide a more even power gain across the entire RPM spectrum.. they're more "driveable" in daily use, because you have low-end and high-end boost. Turbochargers provide a much higher peak power boost than superchargers, but it's uneven -- little to no power gain off the line, with power increasing as the engine speeds up and the turbo spools up at higher RPMs. The advantage of twin turbos over a single turbo is that multiple, smaller turbines can spool up faster, giving you less "turbo lag." Turbos are better for drag racing than superchargers due to the higher power gains.

Also note the part about compression ratios in the posts above.

In addition, there's the intercooler. If you recall from your physics class, when you compress air, you heat it up. Colder, denser air provides more power than hot air, and the job of the intercooler is to cool the air back down after it's been compressed and heated. Turbos almost always have intercoolers. Superchargers generally don't come with intercoolers in the kit (though they can), as with the lower pressures being generated plus not being driven directly by hot exhaust gas, they don't heat the air up as much.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter