03 G35 Turbonetics Single turbo any issues??? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • 03 G35 Turbonetics Single turbo any issues???

03 G35 Turbonetics Single turbo any issues???

Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 PM
03 G35 Turbonetics Single turbo any issues???

Just curious to see what people think about the turbonetics kit and if anyone has had issues with the turbos or anything else?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Unfortunately you're not going to find a lot of good information on this site about that- nobody here is really passionate enough to know the real deal about the TN kits. I would highly recommend you head over to my350z.com and go to their 350z FI section. They'll be a bit more helpful especially since it's clear that you haven't done even a rudimentary search on the matter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eno For This Useful Post:
Quimby (09-21-2011), Sylvan lake V35 (09-28-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Long story short, TN kit is one of the lease reliable options -- wonder why you find them so cheap used??. Like mentioned, go to my350z and do some searching. Most people on rupromenergo.ru are more concerned with rims and body kits than F/I.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 AM
ill have to go into the 350z forum and check it out thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90fairladyz87 View Post
ill have to go into the 350z forum and check it out thanks
Be carefull of what type questions you ask over there as they are pretty tuff on newbs.And no dont get involved with the TN kit...trust me on this.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:11 PM
I have had the turbonetics single turbo kit on my g35 for at least 20k now no issues only issue is the first turbo went and i replaced it besides that nothing its been reliable on stock reflash and only at 8 psi car currently has 62k i have heard good and bad things any car with F/I can blow the motor most times its due to the driver or owner not building it to handle or pushing the car pass it limits
Old 09-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Canada, eh?
^Run on sentence much?

And to say you've had no issues but the turbo went bad is a pretty big and important issue, considering it's the main part of the kit. Personally, from what I've seen I wouldn't ever get a TN kit.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Turbonetics makes great turbo chargers. If yours went bad, then its bad luck.

The kit itself is fine, its just not a big power kit. Its nice for 400whp or slightly less on a stock block, or up to 500 on a built block. Anything over that and you are maxing out the piping (it's small and doesn't flow as well as some of the other kits).

It's perfectly fine if you aren't going for big hp. Most people with problems relied on the flashed ECU. When adding that much power to a car, even at only 8psi of boost, everyone should really get a piggy back and a real tune. Although, the flashed ECU is pretty decent, but one level of risk in the equation that can be mitigated.

I've owned 2 G35 coupes, and had the Turbonetics kit on both, with no problems.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks. Seal went on the first turbo which i had a spare 60-1 laying around so i threw that on instead. I think its a pretty good kit for a daily driver and weekend warrior for what it is. Ive heard good and bad things mostly good most of the bad have been error on owners part.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHudson Coupe View Post
Turbonetics makes great turbo chargers. If yours went bad, then its bad luck.

The kit itself is fine, its just not a big power kit. Its nice for 400whp or slightly less on a stock block, or up to 500 on a built block. Anything over that and you are maxing out the piping (it's small and doesn't flow as well as some of the other kits).

It's perfectly fine if you aren't going for big hp. Most people with problems relied on the flashed ECU. When adding that much power to a car, even at only 8psi of boost, everyone should really get a piggy back and a real tune. Although, the flashed ECU is pretty decent, but one level of risk in the equation that can be mitigated.

I've owned 2 G35 coupes, and had the Turbonetics kit on both, with no problems.
This post is very misleading.

Turbonetics makes horrible turbo chargers, and I have seen many blow up rather quick. You might as well get an ebay turbo for $300 instead.

There is not way you will ever get 500whp (on a DJ dyno) on a bult block and a T3 .70 a/r turbine (turbonetics kit). Period.

Piping??? WTH are you talking about?? The piping diameter (IC piping) is fine, so is the piping that brings the exhaust gases to the turbo. The down pipe is small (2.5") but that is not the big problem. All the exhaust piping has been known to crack, and some have lost the wastegate because the welds would crack. I have seen this as well on a car that had many "spirited" miles on it.

You either drive the car like a grandma or are extremely lucky.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:41 AM
You sir, are the misleading one. Turbonetics is a well known and reliable brand in many racing communities, there is nothing wrong with their turbo chargers. Just because you have seen them blow up on a track, doesn't mean it was the fault of the turbo every time. I've personally seen garrett, borg warner, and mitsubishi/IHI turbos fail, does that mean they are all bad too? And no, I'm not a turbonetics fan boy, I used to have a Greddy T78 (made my IHI) on my FD, and now I've got a Borg Warner S633 as part of my twin charged setup.

The restrictive part of the turbonetics system is the piping, like I said. To be more specific, its the piping from the headers into the turbo. The downpipe is fine, the intercooler piping is fine.

And 500whp can be done, I've seen it personally on more than 1 car. You are right, the turbo is small, and on the edge of becoming inneficient at this level, but it can be done.

Why would i be lucky or drive like a grandma? I've owned 2 G35's with turbonetics kits and tuned piggyback systems (I don't rely on the flashed ecu). It doesn't matter how you drive it if its installed and tuned properly, you should be able to hammer on it all day long.

All turbo systems are basically the same, so as long as the turbo itself doesn't fail, and the piping doesn't crack, all of the reliability lies in the tuning and quality of installation. Too many inexperienced people have installed the kit, cut corners without knowing it, and ended up with poor reliability. It's one of the cheapest kits, so people strapped for cash buy it and then try to install themselves without the propper knowledge.

It's not a power house turbo kit, but it's plenty reliable if installed and tuned correctly.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:39 AM
The turbonetics kit is a fine kit. There are hundreds of people on here that have had the kit, myself included. I know a few people on this site that have had it for 20,000+ miles. The piping is small, which is why it is so restricted in terms of power that can be achieved. On my350z there are plenty of people who run the kit as well. The flex pipe cracks, but the newer versions don't have a flex pipe anymore so that issue is fixed. There are AC line problems from time to time, but if you wrap the line you will be fine.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350Z T View Post
This post is very misleading.
There is not way you will ever get 500whp (on a DJ dyno) on a bult block and a T3 .70 a/r turbine (turbonetics kit). Period.
false.. I did 517 on 17-18 psi on a 424lx... I now make 580 (same dyno) on 16 psi with our kit ..DOMO

piston rod engine, cosworth heads, cosworth IM, jwt cams, haltech.. basic built engine
Old 09-27-2011, 09:25 PM
i havent had the kit on very long but i havent had any issues with it. i think some of the piping could be redone but other then that it think its a good kit. i havent had a chance to get it to a dyno yet.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 AM
The turbo in the G35/350Z kit is very prone to failing and some guys go through 3 turbos before they get tired of them failing and swap to a Garrett or something else....nothing misleading there. Of all turbo kits for this platform Turbonetics gains the least power and has the highest failure rate and a great deal of motors have been lost due to this kit. If you get and aftermarket tune(not Turbonetics supplied) custom piping and swap out the turbo you have a great kit