RPM drops when I rev up and let go of the gas - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • RPM drops when I rev up and let go of the gas

RPM drops when I rev up and let go of the gas

Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM
RPM drops when I rev up and let go of the gas

Hi, there's something I've been noticing with my car.

Say, I'm sitting in a parking lot. My gear in neutral. I rev up a bit say to 2~3k rpm and release the gas pedal. My RPM drops to the minimum rpm line (which is the last line you see before the big gap to 0 RPM) then pops back up to the normal idle RPM range. I think it's something like 800rpm for idle... I could be wrong. This happens with either my clutch engaged and disengaged. I'm not sure if this is normal. I don't have any problem with this nor it effect my driving in anyway. Usually I won't even notice it unless I'm idling while parking.

However I did find this curious.... so, is this normal?

Thanks!
Kevin
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustic View Post
Hi, there's something I've been noticing with my car.

Say, I'm sitting in a parking lot. My gear in neutral. I rev up a bit say to 2~3k rpm and release the gas pedal. My RPM drops to the minimum rpm line (which is the last line you see before the big gap to 0 RPM) then pops back up to the normal idle RPM range. I think it's something like 800rpm for idle... I could be wrong. This happens with either my clutch engaged and disengaged. I'm not sure if this is normal. I don't have any problem with this nor it effect my driving in anyway. Usually I won't even notice it unless I'm idling while parking.

However I did find this curious.... so, is this normal?

Thanks!
Kevin
Mine does the same thing too. When i start it in cold weather, and rev.

I Want to know if this is normal 2.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 AM
SLICK
Thanked 1,049 Times in 934 Posts
Question Kevin, why are you sitting still reving your engine? Believe me when I tell you it's not good for your engine and the G35 isn't a toy!
Gary
Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM
^^ +1

I assume he's going it because it's cold where he's at and he's trying to warm the engine up faster.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Mine does this exact same thing at startup. Gonna follow this maybe get some answers.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerG View Post
^^ +1

I assume he's going it because it's cold where he's at and he's trying to warm the engine up faster.
Oh, I see. He wants to rev his COLD engine.

Brilliant.

Why not go out five minutes early and start it and let it warm up?

Don't know if this is normal because I don't make it a habit to sit and rev my engine for no reason.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Driving the car is bad for the engine too, you should just leave it parked...
Old 02-08-2011, 02:05 PM
We can't jump to assume that he's doing it to warm up his car.

Also, leaving it parked for a prolonged time would be bad too and totally irrelevent to the topic because there's a difference between doing what the car's main purpose is to do and doing something just cause you can. It's like saying I should redline alll the time just cause I can. It's understood it's bad for the engine.

As far as OP's question is concerned, if I were to do the same it'd drop just a little below idle (not sure if it's as extreme as yours) and come back up a bit to it's regular idle speed. Not sure if it's normal, but really not a big concern cause I don't ever free rev my car anyway.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Probably just cold weather, you only need to warm up your car for 1 minute since newer cars don't use carburetors
Old 02-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrschaft View Post
Driving the car is bad for the engine too, you should just leave it parked...
That's what I do. Wash it, wax it, and leave it parked in the garage. When I resell it it'll be a really low mile car and I'll get top dollar.

I think it's a great plan.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Mr.202?
This happens to me but not in N,, its the car catching so you wont stall
Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Okay. I just had the chance to read all your posts. Thanks everyone for all for your interests.

First of all, no, I don't just sit in a parking lot and rev up my engine for the fun of it. Second, no, I don't rev up my engine to warm up even though I live up in the igloos. Lastly, I noticed the problem. If it is any. Can someone just help me answer my question without coming to conclusions that I shouldn't be doing this and that? I love my car as much as you do and I take care of it religiously from engine oil to paint finish.

To clarify my question, this "problem" happens both at start up or when it's warm. The thing is, I don't know any other manual G drivers or manual drivers for that matter. I just don't know if this is a normal occurrence. If you really want to help me solve this, you can help me by reving up your engine in neutral (just for a split second... don't hold it or anything) and see if the rev needle drops down to the last solid line (which should be about 300-400rpm range) and bounce back immediately up to the second line (about 500rpm range...?) which should be the normal idle rpm. This should be simple to do. I'd appreciate it greatly if one of you can do this to clear any confusion.

sTeadFasT96, thanks for your comment and reading the original post and not just the latest thread.

Thanks!
Kevin

Last edited by akoustic; 02-09-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah man it's no problem, people need to just be more objective without assuming the worst out of people out of a semi-hypothetical question and keep things on topic without questioning automotive morality, hah.

Again though, I don't find this being a big concern. If you rev it up and it drops and all of a sudden your car chokes out and stalls, then it'll be a concern. You should be fine.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Providing more information to begin with will keep people from having to guess what the situation is.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 PM
^ exact reason why the clarification was made. If I missed anything, ask and you'll receive but let's not assume.