window tint ticket in va. Second offense? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • window tint ticket in va. Second offense?

window tint ticket in va. Second offense?

Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 AM
window tint ticket in va. Second offense?

Got one the other day going 2 mph over. He didn't say anything about my speed he only pulled me over because of my tint. I was doing 60, and it was a va state trooper sitting in the median. IS it a second offense or can he pull me because of that?
Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 01:55 AM
What do you mean second offense? Is this your second time getting a tint violation ticket? If not then it's a first offense.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:56 AM
i live in va beach. i was pulled over 3 times. got 2 warnings. 3rd time i got a ticket. i was pulled specifcally for tint. yea, it sucks in va.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:00 AM
So wait pulled over again after you had a ticket already? Not sure about your laws but if it's like cali if you already have a fixit you can usually just tell them you are still in the process of getting it fixed and get off fine unless your past ticket has already progressed beyond the due date...

I think you need to clarify your question more, is it asking about getting ticketed twice? Or if he can pull you over for tints?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:12 AM
I believe that he is asking if it's a secondary offense, meaning that the officer can not pull you over simply for the violation.
Before driving while talking on your cell phone was banned here, it was a secondary offense. The officer would need another reason (primary) (speeding, reckless driving, etc) to pull you over in order to cite you. They couldn't pull you over simply for talking on your cell phone and cite you.
It's now a primary pffense.

I'm not sure, but I would imagine that it's a primary offense that fall in line with no seat-belts, illegal modifications, etc.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Some states still have seat-belt violations as a secondary law.

With regards to tinting, it is primary in most states. Even if it isn't, dark enough window tinting is enough "probable cause" for an officer to pull you over. If the officer can't see into your car, he can't see what you're doing, you could be doing something illegal = pulled over.

And BTW, going 2 mph over the speed limit is still speeding, therefor he could site you for any secondary offense you committed. He doesn't have to issue a citation for the primary offense in order for the secondary offense to hold up.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:21 AM
I've been ticketed for tint only. Virginia will pull you over just for it.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 AM
SLICK
Thanked 1,049 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupromenergo.ru015 View Post
Got one the other day going 2 mph over. He didn't say anything about my speed he only pulled me over because of my tint. I was doing 60, and it was a va state trooper sitting in the median. IS it a second offense or can he pull me because of that?
Thanks
If you've had a previous ticket for tint then of course this is your second offense. If you have illegal tint that's reason enough for them to pull you over. Isn't Va. state law 35% for tint?
Gary
Old 09-12-2011, 09:44 AM
50% front windows, 35% rear quarters and rear glass; for sedans i think its 50% front/back, 35% rear quarters and rear glass

its kind of BS because SUV's and trucks can do whatever to the back/quarters/rear glass if they want

oh and one more thing if you have tint darker than that even if your from out of state, even just passing through VA, you can still be pulled and ticketed not as likely but still very possible
Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 AM
VA can pull you over for tint as the primary offense...VA is a 35% rear/quarter panel window and 50% front doors state....it sucks, I got ticketed for 35% fronts when a kid rear ended me

Edit, got beat to it...damn ipad
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM
yeah i ment secondary offense, meaning the cop would have to get me for something more intense first. But my question was answered..
Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I live in virginia also, specifically fairfax county. They're douches about tint. I have 35% all around and i don't get bothered. On my old car i had 35% all around, decided i wanted darker, so i got 15% all around. I got pulled over 3 times in 2 weeks. It's a primary offense, it used to be secondary IIRC.

35% seems to be a safe bet. It looks good too, not too dark IMO. I'm sure i'll get pulled over eventually by some douche that wants to ruin my day. but it hasn't happened yet.

If you get a tint ticket in fairfax or loudoun (both where i got mine) you can take a picture of your car without tint and show it to the judge. he'll throw it out and tell you to have a nice day. No court costs, no fees. You just have to waste a few hours of your day. Or you can just pay it online.

I got 4 tint tickets, 3 i went to court for. I drove a different car or got a buddy to take me (just in case), took a old pic of my car and that worked. two of the 3 neither the officer nor the judge even looked at the pictures. It's just a way of making money and they hope you'll just pay it online. The fourth i couldn't go to court for, so i paid it online.

hope that helps you decide what to do!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL-EE-ES View Post
VA can pull you over for tint as the primary offense...VA is a 35% rear/quarter panel window and 50% front doors state....it sucks, I got ticketed for 35% fronts when a kid rear ended me

Edit, got beat to it...damn ipad
+1 I got pulled over on I81 for window tint in va. Mine is 35, legal in NC where I got it done... Got away with a warning tho.