Muffler or Resonator delete? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Muffler or Resonator delete?

Muffler or Resonator delete?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Question Muffler or Resonator delete?

04 g35 6mt coupe.

hello guys, right now im kinda broke to get an exhaust but i really wanna make my car "a bit louder" it has the stock exhaust. so just to make it a little louder not too much what's better? a muffler delete or a resonator delete? i don't wanna make it super loud because of the cops here. thank you.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarian View Post
04 g35 6mt coupe.

hello guys, right now im kinda broke to get an exhaust but i really wanna make my car "a bit louder" it has the stock exhaust. so just to make it a little louder not too much what's better? a muffler delete or a resonator delete? i don't wanna make it super loud because of the cops here. thank you.
Res delete. Then later you can replace the muffler with a magnaflow or a tanabe or something with the same configuration.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScraggleRock For This Useful Post:
Avarian (02-19-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 12:26 AM
I agree. If your only option is a delete (can't affford a replacement for the oem muffler) and don't want it too loud, it has to be the resonator. You may want to do a quick search for the purpose of a resonator. My unprofessional understanding is that it removes certain unwanted frequencies from the exhaust note sometimes referred to rasp so with the added volume you may also get some unpleasant notes as well
The Following User Says Thank You to GoalieMan For This Useful Post:
Avarian (02-19-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalieMan
I agree. If your only option is a delete (can't affford a replacement for the oem muffler) and don't want it too loud, it has to be the resonator. You may want to do a quick search for the purpose of a resonator. My unprofessional understanding is that it removes certain unwanted frequencies from the exhaust note sometimes referred to rasp so with the added volume you may also get some unpleasant notes as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
Res delete. Then later you can replace the muffler with a magnaflow or a tanabe or something with the same configuration.
Yes I could search... but is the rasp loud enough to note? If not - I'll have the muffler shop cut out my res and replace it with a straight pipe.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:02 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo
Thanked 1,221 Times in 987 Posts
No J no, bad idea. It'll sound like azz and yes the rasp is bad IMHO. Had a friend who did it a few years ago and he immediately ordered a Tanabe Medallion that same afternoon. It's called a ghetto mod for a reason.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
No J no, bad idea. It'll sound like azz and yes the rasp is bad IMHO. Had a friend who did it a few years ago and he immediately ordered a Tanabe Medallion that same afternoon. It's called a ghetto mod for a reason.
Dangit... not trying to spend $2k on exhaust lol I just want it to be a bit louder.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:14 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo
Thanked 1,221 Times in 987 Posts
Look around on here, my350z and all the other G/Z related forums for used exhausts, you should be able to find a killer system you like between $500-1000 or maybe a bit cheaper if you get lucky. With exhausts I see no reason to pay for a brand new system. Hell I have THE prototype Motordyne VQ system for the sedans and while it's not beautiful, it's under the car and the muffler's shiny so no one can tell. But when I get on it people's heads turn cuz it sounds hella sexy!! Tony only made 22 sets I believe and I'm grateful to have one.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM
SLICK
Thanked 1,049 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
Dangit... not trying to spend $2k on exhaust lol I just want it to be a bit louder.
Swap your OE muffler for a Magnflow replacement muffler, they're a bit louder...Gary
Old 02-18-2017, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
$2k? The magnaflow muffler is like $169 (same muffler that they put on their $700 g/Z exhaust system, but you aren't buying the pipes). Having a shop cut out your res and replacing with straight pipe, replacing your stock muffler with the magnaflow and welding your stock tips up would cost you a total of about $300.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:25 PM
I would suggest a muffler delete over a resonator delete. The stock resonator is what makes the VQ sound so good, and removing it will only make the stock exhaust raspy and sound "crappy" imo. The muffler delete keeps the trumpet-ness of the VQ while only increasing sound.
The Following User Says Thank You to Conissah For This Useful Post:
Avarian (02-19-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 01:13 PM
From personal experience, I have an 05 6mt and a muffler delete. It is extremely loud, and the drone is pretty substantial it doesn't bother me because I knew the risk. It sounds great in the mid to high range though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skippedcollege For This Useful Post:
Avarian (02-19-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippedcollege View Post
From personal experience, I have an 05 6mt and a muffler delete. It is extremely loud, and the drone is pretty substantial it doesn't bother me because I knew the risk. It sounds great in the mid to high range though.
Something else must be going on if you think a muffler delete is "extremely loud" and if you have enough drone to bother you. I'm running Z1 test pipes and muffler delete, and that would constitute as extremely loud, but the drone doesn't bother me until I'm at 3k on the highway. Loudness is subjective I guess.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Something else must be going on if you think a muffler delete is "extremely loud" and if you have enough drone to bother you. I'm running Z1 test pipes and muffler delete, and that would constitute as extremely loud, but the drone doesn't bother me until I'm at 3k on the highway. Loudness is subjective I guess.
Yeah it is, most the dudes in my club run either stock or very mild exhaust or huge single exits, I suppose I lean more towards the loud spectrum. As you stated, it's all subjective.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:33 PM
For OP, this is test pipes and muffler delete. It has gotten a little quieter since then as this was the clip leaving the shop right after the pipes had been welded in. Obv they needed to be "broken" in.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
For OP, this is test pipes and muffler delete. It has gotten a little quieter since then as this was the clip leaving the shop right after the pipes had been welded in. Obv they needed to be "broken" in.

damn that sounds better than my girl's orgasm! too bad its super loud..cops where i live will put my car in detention for 3 months. so i dont wanna take the risk. so is the res delete less loud?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: