Just installed R1 Concepts Rotors and Stillen brake pads... - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Just installed R1 Concepts Rotors and Stillen brake pads...

Just installed R1 Concepts Rotors and Stillen brake pads...

Old 02-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Just installed R1 Concepts Rotors and Stillen brake pads...

I ordered R1's slotted/cross-drilled rotors, and Stillen (Brake Pros) pads. Total for parts was $300, so that's not too bad for all four wheels. Anyway, the installation went smoothly, everything fit perfectly, and after two days of driving, I can say that this combo works at least as good as OEM. No squeaks either. I'll update again after a thousand miles or so, but so far I'm satisfied with the quality and performance. hopefully it won't dust the front wheels as much as the OEM's did... For the price, I think this combo was worth it.

On a related note--for those who have slotted, cross-drilled, or both--did you install with the slots going with or against the forward rotation of the wheels? Just wondering. My mechanic asked me which way I wanted them installed, so I just said "with" the rotation. Any advantage/disadvantage to either direction, or does it really not matter? I saw slotted/cross-drilled rotors installed both ways on cars in the performance magazines...

Last edited by kvangil; 02-08-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil
I ordered R1's slotted/cross-drilled rotors, and Stillen (Brake Pros) pads. Total for parts was $300, so that's not too bad for all four wheels. Anyway, the installation went smoothly, everything fit perfectly, and after two days of driving, I can say that this combo works at least as good as OEM. No squeaks either. I'll update again after a thousand miles or so, but so far I'm satisfied with the quality and performance. hopefully it won't dust the front wheels as much as the OEM's did... For the price, I think this combo was worth it.

On a related note--for those who have slotted, cross-drilled, or both--did you install with the slots going with or against the forward rotation of the wheels? Just wondering. My mechanic asked me which way I wanted them installed, so I just said "with" the rotation. Any advantage/disadvantage to either direction, or does it really not matter? I saw slotted/cross-drilled rotors installed both ways on cars in the performance magazines...

The slots or drill should go forward
Old 02-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Why? Just wondering...i've seen it done both ways, and couldn't find reasons why one would be better than the other...
Old 02-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned
Quote:
Why? Just wondering...i've seen it done both ways, and couldn't find reasons why one would be better than the other...

It pushes the hot air out this way! I think if you go the other way it traps the air!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Wait, maybe I'm not picturing this correctly, but how is it possible to mount the the rotors any other way? The stock rotors are like top hats. How exactly would you mount the rotors so that the vanes are reversed?

For these rotors, off the car... when you lay them on the ground, do the vanes all go in the same direction? Or do two rotors have vanes going one direction and two going the opposite?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert039
Wait, maybe I'm not picturing this correctly, but how is it possible to mount the the rotors any other way? The stock rotors are like top hats. How exactly would you mount the rotors so that the vanes are reversed?

For these rotors, off the car... when you lay them on the ground, do the vanes all go in the same direction? Or do two rotors have vanes going one direction and two going the opposite?

there should be 2 going one direction and 2 the opposite! usually they are marked with a round sticker R and L!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Ok that makes sense then. So all 4 rotors are completely different. Two larger ones in the front, each with vanes pointed in opposite directions. And two smaller rotors in the rear with different vanes as well.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert039
Ok that makes sense then. So all 4 rotors are completely different. Two larger ones in the front, each with vanes pointed in opposite directions. And two smaller rotors in the rear with different vanes as well.
yes thats how they should be!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 PM
OK--just looked up some Brembo FAQ's and they say that for straight and pillar vanes, it really doesn't matter what direction the rotors go--only matters if there are curved vanes. If I remember correctly, my R1 rotors had pillar vanes. Also, according to the FAQ, direction of the slots generally doesn't matter. I'll leave it as is for now, as it hasn't been problematic. I dont go to track days or anything like that, so I doubt I'd ever build up enough heat to kill the rotors...When I checked these rotors, they didn't have an "R" or "L" sticker. Floyds, were your rotors from R1 also, or somewhere else?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned
No they where not from R1 but my brembo on my civic and these always had direction stickers! or the box stated RR RF so on!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:56 PM
I see. Yep--according to Brembo's site, their slotted rotors are directional as you described.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Grocery getter
Some are directional and some are not. I have seen very nice BBK's with the slots going the opposite way as mine before. Both will work but if the manufacturer gives a direction make sure to use it.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Quote:

Not bad for the price...but now you need to change your sig.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITmenace
Not bad for the price...but now you need to change your sig.
lol...I still consider it stock though...Not like the brakes are much of an upgrade over stock performance-wise. Just wanted something cheaper, cleaner, and that will hopefully last longer than the crappy OEM brakes, while still providing the same braking power. I do notice that in today's -5 degree weather, the first couple times I hit the brakes when driving, it takes a while to grab. Not really worried about that though, as I'm still driving slow and warming up. After those first couple times though, the brakes work fine. Wonder if it's just too cold and out of the pads' normal operating temp range....
Old 02-09-2007, 07:22 AM
I got BrakeTek rotors, they specified which side goes where, and the slots rotate from the inside to the outside of the rotor in the direction of travel of the wheel. (does that make sense? Looking at the driver's side, the slots that are on "top" of the rotor face up/right).