How much brake fliuds do I need for brake bleeding? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • How much brake fliuds do I need for brake bleeding?

How much brake fliuds do I need for brake bleeding?

Old 05-22-2011, 07:41 PM
How much brake fliuds do I need for brake bleeding?

Hi all,

I just ordered the motive products brake bleeder. Just wondering how much fluids would I need to buy for the brake bleeding process. Also, the G35 brake bleeding DIY video shows you have to take the wheels off. On the motive products youtube video, they did it without taking the wheels off. So what's the verdict?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 AM
I don't know how the motive bleeder kit works, but you need to reach the bleeder screws on the calipers. If you can do that with the wheels on, more power to you...but usually the wheels off is much easier.

How much to use? I usually buy a few of the small bottles, and return what I don't use. Brake fluid absorbs water if exposed to air, so I hate buying a big bottle and only using half of it. A year or so down the road, the fluid is useless since it could be saturated.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
I don't know how the motive bleeder kit works, but you need to reach the bleeder screws on the calipers. If you can do that with the wheels on, more power to you...but usually the wheels off is much easier.

How much to use? I usually buy a few of the small bottles, and return what I don't use. Brake fluid absorbs water if exposed to air, so I hate buying a big bottle and only using half of it. A year or so down the road, the fluid is useless since it could be saturated.
It's a one man bleeder kit. The kit has a built in pump so it does the fluid pump and you won't need a second person stepping on the pedal.

The reason I asked is because I plan to do 2 cars (other car is a nissan sentra) so just didn't want to buy too much brake fluid or buy too little and have it run out before I can finish the job.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:52 AM
2 smaller bottles for me when i upgraded my brakes.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:05 AM
One liter is more than enough to completely flush and bleed the brakes (and clutch if you had one). I recommend ATE Super Blue; it is nice to be able to see when the old fluid is out of the system.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:14 AM
I have about 42k miles on my G. The fluids still look very light and new. How do you guys tell when the new fluid is bleeding out if the colors are very similar? If my current fluids were dark then it would be much easier to see.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM
I do mine every 1-2 years. There is still a slight difference in color when viewed through the bleeder hose.

The older fluid tends to be more amber, while the new stuff is more clear. This is the same brand of fluid too..only differences is the darker fluid was in my brakes for 1-2 years.

I usually get this bottle in this size...and use 3/4 of it for one car

Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
I do mine every 1-2 years. There is still a slight difference in color when viewed through the bleeder hose.

The older fluid tends to be more amber, while the new stuff is more clear. This is the same brand of fluid too..only differences is the darker fluid was in my brakes for 1-2 years.

I usually get this bottle in this size...and use 3/4 of it for one car

Thanks...I guess I'll get two (1 for each car)
Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 AM
The manual said to bleed in the following order. Right rear brake → Left
front brake → Left rear brake → Right front brake. Right rear brake = rear driver or rear passenger?

I would probably want to bleed one side of the car at a time. This way I can rotate the tires as well.

The manual calls for disconnecting negative battery terminal. Is that really necessary?

Last but not least, do you guys torque that air bleeder nut? I only have a ft-lb torque. If needed I'll have to get those tiny in-lb torque wrench.

This is the bleeder kit I bought.