Steering feels loose and unresponsive.. - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Steering feels loose and unresponsive..

Steering feels loose and unresponsive..

Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Steering feels loose and unresponsive..

I could just be over thinking this but I feel like my steering isn't up to par. It feels loose and unresponsive. When I was going about 5 mph, I would turn the wheel left to right pretty quickly and it didn't seem to turn like it should have.. I dont have the control that I would like to. I feel like the car doesn't react to every movement I make.. Again, I could be over thinking all of this but who knows? Any suggestions?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:06 PM
If you are driving straight and make slight inputs, does it react?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
I it may sound odd but did you check your tire pressure?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Also check your power steering fluid. My old car (G20) did that due to a leaky hose.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:19 PM
I dont think so.. I don't know how slight you are talking about but if I turn the wheel a tiny bit, im pretty sure it doesnt do anything
Old 02-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Are your tie rods busted? Is your steering rack leaking?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AARONHL View Post
Are your tie rods busted? Is your steering rack leaking?
I have no idea.. I dont know much about everything mechanical that goes on in my car. I dont even know what tie rods are...
Old 02-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Then tell a mechanic, don't ask us hahaha
Old 02-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AARONHL View Post
Then tell a mechanic, don't ask us hahaha
Well some people on here seem to know everything there is to know about these cars and cars in general. I was hoping someone could help..
Old 02-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Even if they could tell you what is wrong, if you have no mechanical experience, you will have to pay someone to fix it. Might as well let them diagnose it too instead of us guessing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5150DS For This Useful Post:
AARONHL (02-04-2012), Blue Dream (03-08-2013)
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM
loose steering

I encountered a similar feel on my car (X; 85K miles) and it seemed to happen rather suddernly yesterday mid-way through a long road trip on I-95 thru Ct and NY City. maybe some rough roads. At speeds over 70 mph, the car feels a bit floaty now, with more play in the steering wheel. Not as tight as earlier in the day. Also coasting at low speeds sometimes now notice play in the steering wheel which feels unsettling after years of rock solid steering. The power steering fluid is full; tires OK; no shake or vibration in the wheel; no noises. Car tracks straight online and no pull to the side. Car still turns and handles OK. But at highway speeds it sometimes will feel like a '83 Buick; & has that disconnected feeling.
I will take it to the dealer for inspection and test drive this week, but does anyone have any ideas what this could be before the dealer hits me with a high estimate?
End links; shocks; compression rod bushings; steering rack; ball joints; etc?? Thx.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey wuppiedog,

Did you figure out what it is? I have the same issue, the steering feels unresponsive. Not remotely close to as tight as it use to be. I took it to my mechanic and he can not find anything wrong with it.

I am thinking of replacing my compression rods?

I am at a loss now.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:47 AM
I posted my experience a few months ago on another thread. The problem i had with the loose feeling steering was completely fixed after my compression rod bushings were replaced. Car handles real tight - just like new.
It can be difficult to visually see defects with the bushings under the car with the rods bolted to the chassis. The splits, tears or cracks in the rubber may not be evident.
I had my Infiniti dealer replace the bushings, using the existing compression rods. The cost was $500 with only about $80 of that for the 2 parts, and the remainder all labor charge. Job took about 2-3 hours but I got a free 2012 G35 loaner for the day while I left it to be fixed.
Failed rod bushings will affect the caster function of the alignment. Incorrect caster will make the car wander and not track straight and make the steering response sloppy. Kind of like those supermarket shopping carts with bad front wheels - thus the term caster.
I suppose if you have access to a lift, air tools, balljoint tools, a hydraulic press and jigs you can DIY. I have no interest in purchasing this stuff or the time to futz with this, so i just paid my dealer to do it. Yeah it's pricey, but they do it right the first time. Other than these bushings and a bad front wheel bearing, my G has been very reliable (knock on wood).
Old 06-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Blame it on the goose got you feeling loose. Blame it on the 'tron got you in the zone
Old 02-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuppiedog View Post
I encountered a similar feel on my car (X; 85K miles) and it seemed to happen rather suddernly yesterday mid-way through a long road trip on I-95 thru Ct and NY City. maybe some rough roads. At speeds over 70 mph, the car feels a bit floaty now, with more play in the steering wheel. Not as tight as earlier in the day. Also coasting at low speeds sometimes now notice play in the steering wheel which feels unsettling after years of rock solid steering. The power steering fluid is full; tires OK; no shake or vibration in the wheel; no noises. Car tracks straight online and no pull to the side. Car still turns and handles OK. But at highway speeds it sometimes will feel like a '83 Buick; & has that disconnected feeling.
I will take it to the dealer for inspection and test drive this week, but does anyone have any ideas what this could be before the dealer hits me with a high estimate?
End links; shocks; compression rod bushings; steering rack; ball joints; etc?? Thx.
I have noticed slop in my steering kind of suddenly too. These compression rod bushings...is there a DIY for replacing them? No way I can physically hand over $500 for this repair. Doesn't seem like it should be too difficult to replace, but if there is a DIY that could save me some pointless unbolting and time, I want to follow it. I've got a press and an electric impact. No ball joint tools, though.