Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Tune Up Suggestions?

Tune Up Suggestions?

Old 01-12-2018, 04:44 PM
Question Tune Up Suggestions?

Hi all,

Just upgraded my ride to a 2005 G35X Sedan. I am the third owner at 70K miles on the odometer (just under 113K km). It was owned by an elderly couple most of its life, with the last 6K miles with a separate owner. I did a very basic tune up (oil, oil filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter, spark plugs) and am looking for some suggestions from an experienced owner on some good/essential preventative maintenance. Some of the things I already have planned are as follows:

-Engine coolant flush/fill
-Transmission fluid flush/fill
-Differential and transaxle fluid flush/fill
-Flush break lines and refill
-Change PCV valve and fuel filter
-Clean MAF sensor and throttle body
-lube all belts (one is squealing on startup/first few mins of driving, not sure yet which belt)
-Top up all other necessary fluids, including battery

When I changed the oil it was evident that the guy before me did NOT use synthetic oil; he also told me he wasn't using premium gas. Even though it was baby driven, I have a feeling the older couple didn't do much to the car when it comes to preventative maintenance which is why I want to cover all my bases.

Please note I am not looking for any advice on tweaks or modifications to the engine as I am looking to keep the car as stock as possible; I just want some input on anything else I can do to increase its performance and fuel economy to get it running as efficient as possible!

Thanks,
Bryce
Old 01-12-2018, 09:25 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
There is almost zero difference in wear or longevity between a motor that runs conventional vs. synthetic as long as it's changed on interval so I wouldn't worry about it.

/ />
That one is for a 2005 but they basically all use the same schedule, unless you have receipts to prove when work was done I would assume EVERY fluid needs flushed and just start working through the list.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:27 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
Also, it's not "preventative maintenance", it's "scheduled routine maintenance". There's a huge difference since one is optional and one is not.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:48 PM
SLICK
Thanked 1,049 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitgineer_93 View Post
Hi all,

Just upgraded my ride to a 2005 G35X Sedan. I am the third owner at 70K miles on the odometer (just under 113K km). It was owned by an elderly couple most of its life, with the last 6K miles with a separate owner. I did a very basic tune up (oil, oil filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter, spark plugs) and am looking for some suggestions from an experienced owner on some good/essential preventative maintenance. Some of the things I already have planned are as follows:

-Engine coolant flush/fill
-Transmission fluid flush/fill Just a drain/fill
-Differential and transaxle fluid flush/fill "
-Flush break lines and refill
-Change PCV valve and fuel filter PCV can be cleaned with carb cleaner, never a reason to replace, fuel filter is inside the gas tank not necessary!
-Clean MAF sensor and throttle body Not necessary, could cause more issues than it fixes!
-lube all belts (one is squealing on startup/first few mins of driving, not sure yet which belt) Belts making noise, replace them since noise indicates they're dried out!
-Top up all other necessary fluids, including battery 21st Century leave the battery alone!

When I changed the oil it was evident that the guy before me did NOT use synthetic oil; he also told me he wasn't using premium gas. Even though it was baby driven, I have a feeling the older couple didn't do much to the car when it comes to preventative maintenance which is why I want to cover all my bases.
Since you have the ability to communicate with the previous owner stay with the oil type/brand they've been using...if it's not broken etc!
Please note I am not looking for any advice on tweaks or modifications to the engine as I am looking to keep the car as stock as possible; I just want some input on anything else I can do to increase its performance and fuel economy to get it running as efficient as possible!

Thanks,
Bryce
Good Luck Bryce, enjoy the ride!
Old 01-13-2018, 02:17 AM
Omg, Gary, what are you doing? He should absolutely clean the MAF. This can pick up really decent HP and fuel economy as well as fix idle issues. What exactly would he harm? Also, pcv valves are cheaper than carb cleaner. Why would you suggest not replacing it?

OP, your plan sounds pretty complete, the only thing I'd add is inspecting the rubber couplers on either end if the intake tube (especially the one connected to the TB). These crack and let in unmetered air and can cause idle issues. Also fuel filter is most likely unnecessary. I'd just try to find a high quality fuel system cleaner like something from Royal purple or something.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:34 AM
I noticed an incredible drop in my gas mileage recently; I was getting around 480 km to a tank in the city, now around 300 or 350 if I'm lucky. I already put through a bottle of Royal Purple Max Clean, and I got the idea for the MAF from another thread.

Thanks guys. Is there anywhere on this forum that has videos on DIY servicing?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 AM
's Avatar
Cleric670
MAF yes

Throttle Body no

Also inspect you differential bushings, common wear item.

Mileage is greatly affected by how much city driving you.do, these things get terrible mileage in the city.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:16 PM
Premier Member
I'd do an ECU reset as well. The computer learns the way you drive so if the previous owner drove like an old lady, the throttle response will be softer. Made a noticeable difference after I bought my Accord from my Dad. He mostly just drove it to and from work in heavy rush hour traffic so mostly just putting along. Throttle response and downshifts were noticeably quicker after the reset.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 AM
That kind of MPG drop usually points to a bad upstream O2 sensor. If you take your car to a smog shop the results can be very telling.