• Reload this Page >
    • Magnaflow glass pack

Magnaflow glass pack

Old 08-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Magnaflow glass pack

What is the part number for it?
how much did you guys paid for it??
how much difference does it make??
Is it a bolt on job or do I need to cut the original resonator out and reattach the magnaflow?
Is it worth it?

Old 08-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Re: Magnaflow glass pack

1. What is the part number for it?
2. How much did you guys paid for it??
3. How much difference does it make??
4. Is it a bolt on job or do I need to cut the original resonator out and reattach the magnaflow?
5. Is it worth it?
__________________________________________________ _

I have a magnaflow glasspack in place of my premuffler.

1. I have no idea what the part number is. You can order one based on product discription. No matter what length you go with you will need 2.5" pipe diameter. Based on reviewing all the posts on the subject of removing the sedan's premuffler I elected to go with a 18" or 22" length. The shop had the 22" in stock, so that's what I used. Going shorter increase's the amount of resonating you will get at 1100rpms to 1900rpms (UNDER LOAD only, no load and you hear no resonating sound at those rpm levels).

2. I paid $70 for my Magnaflow glasspack W/install.

3. Power gain is very suttle, it seemed to give more high end. I noticed no difference in the low end. Sound wise it gave my car a very nice low toned burble, more like the coupe. But the coupe is still more aggressive in that respect. But still I love the sound quality it gave me. I cannot tell you if it makes any difference sound wise at higher rpm's as my Injen CAI is what I hear at the +4k level.

4. The shop neatly sliced out the premuffler and swaped in the Magnaflow unit. I asked them to do the install with the possibility of wanting to reinstall the premuffler. That's what they did. I saved my premuffler btw.

5. If it worth it, yes. While the power gain is just modest, the deep exhaust note at startup and at parking lot speeds makes me very very happy. It gives me a sense of aggresive sounds without having to rev the snot out of the car to hear it, I like that allot. For that I have my Injen and the crawford intake. People turn compleatly around when I wake those 2 up, grin.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 08-13-2003, 05:41 PM

yeah, what Gsedan35 said. :-)

I went with an Allied 18" glass pack with the same characteristics as Gsedan35. You can go with the Magnaflow, or the Allied, or an Imco, or whatever. I don't think there are that different from one another. If I had to do it over, I would probably lean towards 22" or bigger. There is a lot of resonance just around 1500 to 2000 RPM. I dynamatted everything aft of the front seats including the rear seats and the tranny tunnel, which helped out a lot.

$70 installed and you lose ~25 lbs. of dead, useless weight. I noticed just a little more head snap at take off. Also, the exhaust sound is so much better than stock. Go through a tunnel at full throttle (by yourself) with the windows down and you'll want to turn around and do it again.

Old 08-13-2003, 10:45 PM

where do you go to get these done???

Old 08-14-2003, 12:06 AM

Any muffler shop can do it. Just tell them what you want to do. Be carefull, some shops might try and rape you wallet. But surely you can find a place that's resonable. Here's a pic that show's the sedan exhasut system. The premuffler is the big flat thing towards the bottom of the pic.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 08-14-2003, 12:26 AM

Is the resonator called a UNIVERSAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER in the ???

Old 08-14-2003, 02:01 AM
Multi-Spoked Mod

Hey Gsedan. I don't know what you cut out! Can you show me exactly where? What does this do? How much deeper does it sound? Do you have a sound file? Thanks

Old 08-14-2003, 02:34 AM

Renesis (Newbie)
08/13/03 08:26 PM

Is the resonator called a UNIVERSAL CATALYTIC CONVERTER in the Magnaflow Website???

No it's not a catalytic converter. But going to their site myself I understand why you came up blank. They actually don't market a glasspack or a resonator (I didn't know that). What they do is sell 4" round mufflers that happen to have the same construction as a straight through glasspack Here's their own description. "The 4" round body MagnaPack features the same internal straight-through construction as the MagnaFlow Performance Muffler and can be used as a sporty tone muffler or in conjunction with MagnaFlow as a resonator."

That's what I have, here's a link to the page and my part number for the 22" version is 10436

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 08-14-2003, 02:59 AM

G35Lin here's a better pic of the premuffler.

What does it do, I'd say quell secondary resonating 100% between 1100rpm's and 1900rpm's and quiet the exhaust note out of the muffler at idle and slightly above. I don't know how to quantify how much deeper the exhaust note is now and I don't have a way to record a sound bite. I like how I got a more aggressive tone without any real total noise level at higher rpm's. If I wanted it to be louder, I'd go with the HKS rear section or weld in a Magnaflow rear muffler.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 08-14-2003, 05:18 AM

Any pictures of the glasspack on the car?

It's still a G thang!!
Old 08-14-2003, 05:32 AM
Multi-Spoked Mod

ok, what did it look like before? I want it close to the stock since i don't like the ricy bazooka sound! the high screeching or low low low ricy sound! I want to keep this car classy but sounding like a coupe!

Old 08-14-2003, 11:58 PM

Gsedan35, where did you hear that the HKS was loud? My HKS sounds pretty tame reasonable under 4500 RPM. Even after that, It is still is ok. The sound is pretty low and deep. Check out Pesti's site for a sound clip. When I rev the engine, it is about 5500 RPM.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:04 PM

Rumble (Veteran)
08/14/03 01:18 AM

Any pictures of the glasspack on the car?
Yes.

This pic was actually taken to show that the rear Cusco sway bar in place. But if you follow the exhaust towards the front, the Magnaflow glasspack can plainly be seen, but out of focus. The camera distorts the angle's, it's not as low to the ground as it looks.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 08-15-2003, 01:14 PM

G35Lin (Addict)
08/14/03 01:32 AM

ok, what did it look like before? I want it close to the stock since i don't like the ricy bazooka sound! the high screeching or low low low ricy sound! I want to keep this car classy but sounding like a coupe!

The pics I posted on page one ARE from before, I just posted the after pics above. Based on the sound you like and what you DON'T like, this mod is a bull's eye on target. That's why I like it so much. I yet may install a different muffler and replace the crappy stock Y-pipe with a Fujitsubo Y-pipe, but I worry about it being to loud, so I procrastinate about it.

Here's a couple of pics of the stock premuffler off the car.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 08-15-2003, 01:20 PM

mbarrad (Enthusiast)
08/14/03 07:58 PM

Gsedan35, where did you hear that the HKS was loud? My HKS sounds pretty tame reasonable under 4500 RPM. Even after that, It is still is ok. The sound is pretty low and deep. Check out Pesti's site for a sound clip. When I rev the engine, it is about 5500 RPM.

Well I'm just commenting on my take from reading all the post's from G35 sedan owners that have installed the HKS. I take it that the HKS is louder than stock. And I welcome your opinions, being that your one of those owners. I would also exspect that say a Magnaflow straight through muffler would surely be much louder, least IMO.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2