Help: MRR GT1 Lip Plastic coating cracked - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Help: MRR GT1 Lip Plastic coating cracked

Help: MRR GT1 Lip Plastic coating cracked

Old 10-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Help: MRR GT1 Lip Plastic coating cracked

Hey guys, have 20" MRR GT1 with 4"Lip, had a plastic piece of a coating that cracked off the outer edge of the lip, now there is an indentation from where the coating cracked off, now the polished lip underneath can be seen, still polished.

What can i do to get this fixed? any rim shop can fix this? If i get the entire plastic coating taken off would that be ok or would that cause premature deteriotion of the lip?

Anyone with similar experience plz pitch in, im very sad and angry right now ...

Its raining right now so cant snap any pics, but will take pics as soon as it stops raining...

EDIT: PHOTOS ATTACHED
Attached Thumbnails
Help: MRR GT1 Lip Plastic coating cracked-dsc00758.jpg Help: MRR GT1 Lip Plastic coating cracked-dsc00759.jpg

Last edited by kool_yaar; 10-30-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 PM
I dont know what that is but there is no plastic coating on the wheels. Now there is a plastic wrap on it to protect the lip during shipping, but it is meant to be taken off. Kinda like the plastic covering on new electroincs and such to protect screens and what not. I just finished polishing my Gt1's to a high polished lip and the lip was metal throughout.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks for your reply, ok this "plastic wrap", is it suppossed to be hard, cause i fideled with the cracked part and its real hard, now i should be able to break/chip it off the entire lip, if thats what im suppossed to do, however as i got one chip off, i can tell you it wont be coming off like a wrap but more so in pieces of cracked plastics/wrap.

So would it be ok to remove it?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 AM
I have the same wheels.... there's no plastic on mine in the area where the pic was taken.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 AM
or could it be some sort of a hard clear coating or something fancy like that?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:15 AM
This is what my wheel looks like after sanding down the machined finish. If there was a coating on it that was anything other than metal i never would have been able to acheive this high polish. Ive curb checked my rims pretty good, including the wheel shown and have never come across any type of chipping like that.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 AM
looks like your wheels where clear coated to give it more of a shine/gloss to the machined lips... did you buy your wheels new or used? also what color is the face of the wheel? B/c if it's painted (black/silver etc) they probably cleared the whole wheel
Old 10-28-2008, 02:25 AM
i really hate to be an A... but this was the story of my life when i had DIZENYO wheels aka very cheap crappy wheels. they had the same coating as the MMR's and basically its air bubbles that are left and crack. i tried to coat the spots with clear nail polish but it turned yellow... not good. your best bet is having the wheels re finished and actually get them polished instead of clear coated because it will happen again TRUST me i dealt with this for two years until i decided enough was enough and got rid of the wheels... well and the car too. good luck and i'm sorry this happened to you.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:15 PM
its the clear coat...that happened many times on wheels i had in high school when all i could do was afford cheap silver finish lips.

better off going with a stainless steel lip...its gonna keep peeling off all the way around the wheel
Old 10-28-2008, 03:32 PM
thanks for the info guys, these rims might not be expensive but are a good bang for the buck, keep in mind that i have had these for over a year with no problems and happend just now, however i think i will cdmorenot and enviedg35 advice and get the lips completely stripped and machine polished, thanks for the advice guys...

Also someone asked if they were painted... yes they are painted black on the spokes so that could explain the additional clear coat. Also after washing the wheel i found that the polished surface underneath is much smoother and shiner so that should be good after the repolishing...

Last edited by kool_yaar; 10-30-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Pleaseee keep us posted ! the MMR's are def a good bang for the buck. they are some nice looking wheels. Good Luck and don't be bummed out dude... stuff happens... i curbed my rear enkei the first day of having it and i was devastated but what are you gonna do bro ? it's like rock chips... they just happen ! chips, dings only mean one thing... we drive our cars. we drive the ish out of them.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:39 PM
^ thanks man that does kinda make me feel better, iv got an appointment on monday at a local shop who works on fixing all sorts of damaged rims lets see how it goes, ill keep you guys posted...