Negotiate or VPP? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Negotiate or VPP?

Negotiate or VPP?

Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Negotiate or VPP?

Iím in the market to purchase a G37X sedan within the next three months when my FX35 lease runs out. So I stopped by a local dealer and test drove one and briefly went over the numbers this past weekend.

The salesman specifically mentioned that these cars are selling for around $6,500 BELOW MSRP. So I ran the numbers and this is a much lower price than the VPP Plan D price that I qualify for. This seems like a pretty big discount in my eyes. I've already read through some of the incentives and recent price threads and I feel like dealers are not going this low. So did I mishear the salesman? Can you guys give me your thoughts?

I donít know if I should even tell the dealer that I qualify for the VPP if I could negotiate a better deal without it. Iím worried that they wouldnít negotiate with me if I went in and told them that I qualify for the VPP from the start. Any experience in this area?

FYI - I live in Chicago, if that makes any difference.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Why not negotiate first and see how good you can do, and then try the VPP if you are not pleased with the negotiations? With VPP, you can figure out the exact price of the car you want before you go into the dealer. That's the beauty of it. No negotiating, no hassles. So you know what you are going to pay before you even walk in the door.

$6500 sounds excessive, but note that VPP usually turns out to be about $200-$300 above invoice when all of the calculations are done. When I bought my G37 in December, the VPP was better than what I could negotiate. Now, however, your negotiating skills and the incentives will probably be better than the VPP deal.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
It's a buyer's market, negotiate; I got mine under invoice.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerInAtlanta View Post
Why not negotiate first and see how good you can do, and then try the VPP if you are not pleased with the negotiations? With VPP, you can figure out the exact price of the car you want before you go into the dealer. That's the beauty of it. No negotiating, no hassles. So you know what you are going to pay before you even walk in the door.

$6500 sounds excessive, but note that VPP usually turns out to be about $200-$300 above invoice when all of the calculations are done. When I bought my G37 in December, the VPP was better than what I could negotiate. Now, however, your negotiating skills and the incentives will probably be better than the VPP deal.

Good luck!
The only reason is I don't want the sales person to think that I was dishonest with him by not telling him that I qualify for the VPP. I mean if we negotiate for 2 hours, then I tell him afterwards, "oh by the way, I think I'll just use my VPP pricing", you can understand how he might get upset. I just don't want to create any ill will, that's all.

Thanks for your replies!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2JaeD View Post
The only reason is I don't want the sales person to think that I was dishonest with him by not telling him that I qualify for the VPP. I mean if we negotiate for 2 hours, then I tell him afterwards, "oh by the way, I think I'll just use my VPP pricing", you can understand how he might get upset. I just don't want to create any ill will, that's all.

Thanks for your replies!
Not that a sales person would ever do anything shady with you, eh? I wouldn't worry about upsetting a car sales person. Not to cause any trouble with the fine sales people who read this list, but I have yet to find an auto sales person who is, shall we say, 100% credible. I have dealt with many, and none has ever inspired my confidence.

After you buy the car, you will probably never deal with this person again. They aren't there that long. I wouldn't worry about ill will. Believe it or not, I am one of the most honest people you will ever meet. You are playing the game by their rules, where honesty is not necessarily the best policy. So save yourself a lot of money and negotiate the price. If it doesn't turn out the way you want, you can always "think about it" and then come in a few days later and say, "oh, by the way, what is this VPP thing?" I don't see anything dishonest about it, unless you are using VPP when you don't qualify for it.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
You're absolutely right RogerInAtlanta. Especially in this economy, can't afford to lose hundreds, possibly thousands of dollars by not playing their "game".

I would definitely like to hear from those who recently purchased a G37 what price they paid relative to MSRP or Invoice, so I can know what the appropriate negotiating terms would be. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 AM
With the current economic woes and new car sales plunging, you should negotiate.

See this thread: http://rupromenergo.ru/forums/g37-sed...al-thread.html
Old 03-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07G35S6MTTech View Post
With the current economic woes and new car sales plunging, you should negotiate.

See this thread: http://rupromenergo.ru/forums/g37-sed...al-thread.html
Thanks for that link.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 PM
What is VPP?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohardi View Post
What is VPP?
VPP stands for Vehicle Purchase Program. It's a discount program for certain business partners or employees of Nissan Motor Co. It allows people to buy Nissan vehicles for a predetermined price.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2JaeD View Post
VPP stands for Vehicle Purchase Program. It's a discount program for certain business partners or employees of Nissan Motor Co. It allows people to buy Nissan vehicles for a predetermined price.
I bought my car with the VPP from my company. I wheeled and dealed first. When that went no where, I told them that I recently discovered that I qualify for VPP through my company. They say oh, lets crunch the numbers.

Good luck