Thoughts on 2008 G35 vs 2010 G37x - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Thoughts on 2008 G35 vs 2010 G37x

Thoughts on 2008 G35 vs 2010 G37x

Old 09-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Thoughts on 2008 G35 vs 2010 G37x

My 08 G35 Base Sedan is at the dealer for misc. warranty repairs. They gave me a 2010 G37x with 4000 miles on it as a loaner and here are my thoughts:

Interior is almost the same - console/cupholders are a little different, There are no added features which makes me feel they made it different only for the sake of being different.
I like the brushed aluminum on the 08 better. The 2010 brushed aluminum has a wavy swirl to it which almost makes it seem fake/cheap.
Stereo is the same; Climate controls are the same
They changed the color of the LCD panel in the gauge cluster from Red to White.
Door seals are much better on the 2010. Driver's door actually takes a decent amount of effort to close/seal and feels heavier/more solid. I didn't notice any reduction in cabin noise as a result, though.
Exterior is almost identical, save for the re-positioned fog lights and different wheels.

Driving impressions:
My 08 is more responsive all around. I attribute this to the transmission. 5 aggressive gears vs a taller 7AT final gear.

Things I liked:
AWD system is nice. It produces a driveline hum at certain speeds, but is otherwise imperceptible to the driver; I didn't know it was an X until I looked at the rear badge.
Auto reverse camera. It's cool, 'nuff said.
7AT Transmission. Really liked the RPMs at cruising speed - this was a trade-off though because it made the G37 feel more sluggish when passing.
Bluetooth, auto headlights; don't have these in the Base.
Brakes feel better in the 2010 - my pads are probably worn, though.

In summary, going to a 2010 from a 2008 is a very minor upgrade and not worth taking a hit in depreciation/trade-in costs, IMO. I initially had some buyer's remorse after finding out they upgraded the engine in 2009, but now.... not so much. I'll be sticking with my '08 for a long time.

What I found funny was the same rattle I'm having the dealer look at in my 08, exists in the 2010. How did they not track that down after two production years???

Old 09-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Reset the pcm on the 2010 and you'll find its just as responsive as yours.
Exterior: the whole front end is different, its much more aggressive IMO.
I like the new console better, the leather over the cup holders and the way it flows together is nice. I prefer the 08 aluminum over the 10.

I agree it's not worth taking the hit to trade up. If they slapped a turbo or a bigger engine in a new model I'd trade in a heartbeat.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:09 AM
The 2010 isnt worth the upgrade, in my opinion the best time to get a new would be the second year after the major reshape.

Thats why I got the 08 I felt like they would work out the major issues with the first year production.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 AM
For an X if you drive the crap out of it(redline), I really like the 7AT and the little extra horses. I would only buy an x with that transmission.

If you are just driving around home it is annoying how it almost feels like it is making you slow, but get that loaner again and drive the crap out if...I think you will like it better. It is great if you run around at 100 like i do all the time. I am looking for a used 2010 rwd s sedan now!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malice9999 View Post
They changed the color of the LCD panel in the gauge cluster from Red to White........

What I found funny was the same rattle I'm having the dealer look at in my 08, exists in the 2010.
I had a '10 Journey loaner (RWD) and was similarly unimpressed. Hated the white LCD gauges, looked cheap (probably annoying at night too, but only drove during the day). The interior changes just added bling, not function.

'10 had the same funny exhaust rattle on 3-4K RPM upshifts as my '08, that's the biggest thing I hate about my car.

I found the '10 rode a lot softer than my '08. The service adviser said I was one of the few people to notice, but that the suspension did change (not sure if '09 is different from '07-'08).

Keep rockin' the '08!! Congrats on the base with no sunroof!!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malice9999 View Post
What I found funny was the same rattle I'm having the dealer look at in my 08, exists in the 2010. How did they not track that down after two production years???

Yea and that's the same rattle they have in the 04, much like the brake issues in the 04 that exists in the 07 too. Some things they just ain't gonna get right. The list goes on too of issues in our far from perfect entry level LUX Sedans
Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 AM
i just got a 09 g37 loaner and I agree with some of the things you posted. The 7 gears does make it seem more sluggish and tends to hunt for gears more. I was beating the thing up and still maintaining 20mpg

It does feel slightly more powerful in higher bands but in regards to 0-60, the feelings is negligible.

I think a 6at would be the best of both worlds, eh i'll keep my 5at.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:53 PM
I got a G37 as a loaner too and I couldn't wait to get my car back. I have an 07 Journey with premium/navi package + Sport wheels.

2010 G37 with 10k on it vs. my 07 g35 with 10k...

G37 definitely has way more power than mine. 7speed kept downshifting and upshifting so that was whatever. What I did notice though, G37 has horrible suspension! Although both are non-sport my 07 has way better handling, perhaps due to sport wheels but g37 just felt flimsy especially at highway speeds. Also hitting bumps G37 was very cushy, almost like a Lincoln or something.

Interior parts I saw that they did improvements on things like door handle trims and cup holder that actually works. Also the 'mood led' is only on passenger side now. Back up camera seems to be standard and I really liked it.

Personally, as far as looks I prefer my 07 over the new design. For some reason the new ones resemble Nissan Maxima or altima, that's just me though.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:42 PM
FYI The mood led went from 2 to 1 in 08.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredmoonman View Post
I got a G37 as a loaner too and I couldn't wait to get my car back. I have an 07 Journey with premium/navi package + Sport wheels.

2010 G37 with 10k on it vs. my 07 g35 with 10k...

G37 definitely has way more power than mine. 7speed kept downshifting and upshifting so that was whatever. What I did notice though, G37 has horrible suspension! Although both are non-sport my 07 has way better handling, perhaps due to sport wheels but g37 just felt flimsy especially at highway speeds. Also hitting bumps G37 was very cushy, almost like a Lincoln or something.

Interior parts I saw that they did improvements on things like door handle trims and cup holder that actually works. Also the 'mood led' is only on passenger side now. Back up camera seems to be standard and I really liked it.

Personally, as far as looks I prefer my 07 over the new design. For some reason the new ones resemble Nissan Maxima or altima, that's just me though.

explain
Old 09-27-2010, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsizzle View Post
explain
I have a g35? lol
Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredmoonman View Post
I have a g35? lol
I have a 2007 g35x with nav, tech, and wood packages, and I had a 2010 g37 loaner. I did not feel a difference in power...However, I could see what you mean that you could feel a difference in power. You may have to reset the ECU if you're a heavy foot. After a while of heavy driving, the ECU would make the pedal less responsive and feel less "power." It does this to try to conserve more fuel. I definitely feel the decrease in power after a couple thousand miles of heavy driving. Once the ECU is reset, the car feels just as much power as the G37.

The 0-60 numbers are the same in both cars, so the acceleration should be the same even though there is a bump in hp and more gears in transmission. The 5-speed is more aggressive than the 7-speed.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 AM
This has to be the most biased thread on here. The G37 has better fit and finish, front and rear design is nicer, and the 3.7 motor is definitely very much more responsive, plus there is better gas mileage. How can the 08 be better?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacch View Post
This has to be the most biased thread on here. The G37 has better fit and finish, front and rear design is nicer, and the 3.7 motor is definitely very much more responsive, plus there is better gas mileage. How can the 08 be better?
After driving an 09 g37x which is basically the same car as the 10 without the refreshed bumper/interior, I would still prefer my 07x. The steering imo without a doubt goes to the 07-08, the g37 was just way too loose compared to the older model. I also prefer the 5at without the ecu reset over the 7at even though it get's worse mileage, or maybe it's just cause I'm used to it.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathnerd88 View Post
I have a 2007 g35x with nav, tech, and wood packages, and I had a 2010 g37 loaner. I did not feel a difference in power...However, I could see what you mean that you could feel a difference in power. You may have to reset the ECU if you're a heavy foot. After a while of heavy driving, the ECU would make the pedal less responsive and feel less "power." It does this to try to conserve more fuel. I definitely feel the decrease in power after a couple thousand miles of heavy driving. Once the ECU is reset, the car feels just as much power as the G37.

The 0-60 numbers are the same in both cars, so the acceleration should be the same even though there is a bump in hp and more gears in transmission. The 5-speed is more aggressive than the 7-speed.
Interesting... maybe my butt dyno is broken because I didn't know 0-60 was same. My wife definitely said it had more ***** too. hmm.

+1000000 on steering & suspension being better on 07. Not owner bias either because I was excited about getting a 2010 but I didn't enjoy driving it at all. I'm sure 2010 Sport models are more exciting than my journey but 2010 G37 journey I got was not enjoyable.