07 g35x, solved gas smell in interior at idle problem - Page 2 - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

    > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • 07 g35x, solved gas smell in interior at idle problem


07 g35x, solved gas smell in interior at idle problem

Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 39
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerschman View Post
Welp, I finally got under the hood to replace my fuel damper assembly last night and it turns out I got the wrong part. The stiff hose is too long and the connector at the end has a 90 degree elbow on it whereas the one on there now is a straight connector. Also, Frankenstein, I didn't see the things you mentioned (which, btw, I very much appreciated!). I wonder if we're talking about the same damper. Mine is on the front, passenger side and runs down from the "hat"-looking part at about a 45 degree angle. I couldn't quite get my hand down in there to release the clip, which was not green nor cylindrical, nor 2" long.
Also, my G is a 2007 assembled in August of 2007.
Thanks!
What part number did you order?

edit: also, how can you tell if it is the fuel damper itself and not just the O-Ring? Part number 1661810V10, Reference number 16618P from the Sewell part diagram. I wouldn't want to spend $70 to fix a $1 problem.

Also, according to orderinfinitiparts.com P/N 22675JK20A is an old P/N and has been superceded by 22675JK20B.

Last edited by Fred_in_CT; 02-20-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2012
location: Indianapolis
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did, indeed, order 22675JK20B.
One strange thing I noticed is that after I took off the damper, played around with the O-ring, and reassembled it, the gas smell is gone! My guess is that I do just have to replace the O-ring. I think with the ridiculously cold winter we had that the darn thing just shrank out of spec but after messing with it the other day and now that temps have moderated a bit, it may be ok now. But, it probably won't hurt to replace it anyway!
Old 01-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 39
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
I was able to do the swap without getting under the car at all. Here are a few things I learned along the way.

1. I took out the passenger side air box. this was super easy and gave me a ton of extra room to work.

2. between you and the end of the damper assy is a metal bracket that obstructs your view. I removed this, but in hindsight I don't think it was necessary but I had no idea how the assy was secured to the fuel line back there.

3. There is a green clip securing the assy to the fuel line. It is cylindrical and maybe 2" long, and open on one side. I spent quite a bit of time trying to poke around for some sort of release or something, but the whole thing just comes off if you pull away from the open side. If you look at the clip from the end, it kind of looks like a C <- open side.
I am hung up on step 3. I have no visibility from above and i was not able to disconnect the quick connector.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_in_CT View Post
I am hung up on step 3. I have no visibility from above and i was not able to disconnect the quick connector.
I am in the same situation. After noticing a fuel leak and tracking it down to the fuel damper discussed above, I tinkered around to see if I would be able to replace it myself. Looking from under the car, there is almost no way to reach the green clip. From above, I can't seem to find a good way to reach the bottom of the new assembly with enough visibility left over to see what I am doing. A little more in depth tutorial would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2010
location: SF bayarea (925)
Posts: 3,944
Thanked 414 Times in 359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicSays View Post
I am in the same situation. After noticing a fuel leak and tracking it down to the fuel damper discussed above, I tinkered around to see if I would be able to replace it myself. Looking from under the car, there is almost no way to reach the green clip. From above, I can't seem to find a good way to reach the bottom of the new assembly with enough visibility left over to see what I am doing. A little more in depth tutorial would be greatly appreciated.
I think the service manual refers to using a quick release fuel line disconnect tool like: # J-45488

and used like this:



I suspect there are less expensive knock off brand tools out there. Harbor freight probably sells one.
The Following User Says Thank You to vqsmile For This Useful Post:
LogicSays (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vqsmile View Post
I think the service manual refers to using a quick release fuel line disconnect tool like: # J-45488

and used like this:



I suspect there are less expensive knock off brand tools out there. Harbor freight probably sells one.
If this part were a little more visible I might take it on but with it being so far down in there I am thinking I'll just have someone else do it. I'm still a little weary of doing any work on my car other than fluid changes/pads/etc. I need a bigger, more well equipped garage...
Old 01-17-2015, 11:07 PM
takeapieandrun's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Dec 2013
location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 304
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
This forum and you guys are awesome. I've caught a few whiffs of the gas smell recently and I'm suspecting it may eventually start leaking more. I'll try to tackle this myself if it becomes worse.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerschman View Post
I did, indeed, order 22675JK20B.
One strange thing I noticed is that after I took off the damper, played around with the O-ring, and reassembled it, the gas smell is gone! My guess is that I do just have to replace the O-ring. I think with the ridiculously cold winter we had that the darn thing just shrank out of spec but after messing with it the other day and now that temps have moderated a bit, it may be ok now. But, it probably won't hurt to replace it anyway!
How do you disassemble the damper to get to the o-ring? the damper looks like one piece.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 39
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnduc View Post
How do you disassemble the damper to get to the o-ring? the damper looks like one piece.



O-Ring is item 16618P, part# 1661810V10




Part connects via green quick connect on one side, and two hex bolts on the other side. O-ring is on the left hand side of this picture, underneath a little plastic protector.



Picture of the leak in action. I replaced the whole assembly, not just the O-Ring. I couldn't manage to disconnect the green quick disconnect, so I paid somebody to replace the fuel damper for me. Gas smell issue has been fixed for me.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_in_CT View Post


O-Ring is item 16618P, part# 1661810V10




Part connects via green quick connect on one side, and two hex bolts on the other side. O-ring is on the left hand side of this picture, underneath a little plastic protector.



Picture of the leak in action. I replaced the whole assembly, not just the O-Ring. I couldn't manage to disconnect the green quick disconnect, so I paid somebody to replace the fuel damper for me. Gas smell issue has been fixed for me.
I would like to try to replace just the gasket first but cannot see how to take the damper apart. Does the "hat" part just pull apart from the body, say with a set of channel locks? I don't want to damage it beyond repair just trying to replace the seal.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 39
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnduc View Post
I would like to try to replace just the gasket first but cannot see how to take the damper apart. Does the "hat" part just pull apart from the body, say with a set of channel locks? I don't want to damage it beyond repair just trying to replace the seal.
The O-Ring is not the same as the diaphragm internal to the damper itself. I do not think you will be able to take apart the actual damper without damaging it. If the source of the leak is coming from inside the fuel damper itself, due to a damaged diaphragm, I think your only option is to replace the whole assembly.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 18
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do I replace the o-ring? I have the part but just need to know the correct procedure for replacing it.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 39
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnduc View Post
How do I replace the o-ring? I have the part but just need to know the correct procedure for replacing it.
O-ring can be accessed by lifting up the damper a little bit. The damper can be lifted up by unscrewing the two hex bolts in the third picture in the earlier post. You do not want the fuel system to be under pressure when you do this, you don't want to be sprayed by fuel.


I am not a qualified mechanic, so at this point I am a little wary about giving any suggestions. But, if you disconnect the fuse for the fuel pump and run the engine it should run all the fuel out of the lines.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2010
location: SF bayarea (925)
Posts: 3,944
Thanked 414 Times in 359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnduc View Post
How do I replace the o-ring? I have the part but just need to know the correct procedure for replacing it.
Look here: (refer to pages EM-36 to EM-41)

Depressurization procedure is covered here: (refer to page EC-550)

The entire service manual is here:
for '07:
for '08:

They are basically identical between the two years though.
The Following User Says Thank You to vqsmile For This Useful Post:
Fred_in_CT (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 39
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I knew vqsmile would come to the rescue.

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: 05 G35 Sedan 6MT Diamond Graphite - $7000 derres G35 Cars 3 08-28-2015 04:27 PM
FS: noctilucous 2nd Gen (V36) Sedan 0 08-06-2015 09:47 PM
Metal noise coming from rear right wheel atk08 General Media Share 0 07-30-2015 04:12 PM
Fluke or Precursor to a Problem? richmc G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 4 07-26-2015 09:13 PM
Transmission fluid leak (cooler pipes?) newg37 G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 1 07-26-2015 10:32 AM


Tags
35, car, damper, fuel, g35, g35x, gas, gasoline, hot, idle, infinity, leak, line, smell, strong
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Copyright ©2002 - 2017, rupromenergo.ru All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in:

Related pages


03 murano transfer casestrut and shock replacement costvaleo vs bosch wiper bladesroyal purple high mileageilevel accuair240sx d2 coiloverszenex hid kithonolulu infinitipac swi-psnissan intelligent key battery replacementveilside body kitrust on rotors after rainphontainhow much to replace tie rod endsdo gforce chips really workwarped rotors fixg35 vs 350zmyclarion toolscustom g35 sedanstretching tireshow much differential fluid2006 g35 mpgorange tpms reviewvip modular vr01g35 owners manualdiy velocity stackcar shakes at 55 mphbrembo wheelsphilips d2s 35w 85122 hid bulbs2007 porsche cayman s reliability1.5 inch lowering springscostco conditionerinfiniti loaner carperfections custom paint & autobodydupli color satin black wheel painthow much to replace a serpentine beltmorimoto bi xenon projectorsnismo floor matsaftermarket steering wheel controlscaliper guide pinslease infiniti g35where can i get a wheel bearing pressedsteering rack leakingdouble din faceplatenismo 370z wheelsfront bumper repaint costavn726eradial tire elk grove caheater blower relayrotor rustinfiniti m50spepboys hamden ctavn30dvarrstoen wheels quality350z rear tire sizesynthetic wax vs carnauba waxeibach pro kit or sportlinelicense plate hole plugspo340 codetriple a fix flat tiresemanage350z quad exhaustlock nuts for rims2005 wrx 0-60sluggettransponder bypass kitmegan racing carbon fiber mufflereuroline dhwork emitz wheelsvossen vvscv2350z thermostattanabe nf210 lowering springsdiscount code for onlinetires com2004 infiniti g35 sedan interiorrohana rc10saspec blast pipes