Engine/Transmission Jerk? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Engine/Transmission Jerk?

Engine/Transmission Jerk?

Old 03-15-2017, 11:27 AM
Engine/Transmission Jerk?

I have an 08 G35x auto with roughly 135,000 on the clock. It drives like a dream and have never had any issues with it until recently.

Now this is probably going to be hard to describe, but here I go.

When the weather is fine (sunny/dry) the car performs at it's best. There are zero issues to be found.

But when the weather is (snow/wet), the car acts completely different. I will be driving at whatever the speed limit is. Take for example 70 mph on the highway, and all of a sudden I will get a giant "jerk" in the car. It almost feels like the transmission slipped all of it's gears and "banged" back into 5th. Or it seems like the entire engine just shut off and started back. I can't tell which one it is as the feeling is felt throughout the entire car. I do not notice any RPM needle changes when this happens. and it happens probably 6-12 times on a 45 min drive when the conditions outside are snowy or wet.

My interpretation might be off, but that's the best I can describe it. All maintenance (regular) has been done. (fluids,plugs, etc)

It doesn't matter what gear or speed I am, the car will do it whenever it wants. Sometimes it's a "light" jerk and others it will rattle your teeth.

I've tried to find out if it is engine or transmission related by having the car in "snow" mode and having it manually in 5,4,3,2,1 gear. It doesn't matter, the car still jerks.

No apparent damage to any mechanical parts that I can see. I tried to look for an electrical problem but I don't know what to look for. Extremely hard to replicate because it will do it whenever it wants when the road conditions are snowy or wet out.

HOWEVER, it only happens when it is snowy or wet outside. When the conditions outside are dry, the car has never given me any problems.

I have no check engine light or any malfunctions on the dash.

ANY IDEAS of what this could be? I've tried searching but cannot find anyone that has any type of similar issue.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Take a look at the technical service bulletins for your model year. There may be something about the transfer case like there was with my '05X
Old 03-15-2017, 02:34 PM
I've tried that. Can't come up with anything.

Plus, I'm having trouble finding complete information regarding TSB's.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 AM
Bump
Old 12-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35xdriver04 View Post
Bump
Does it only happen in snow mode?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:45 AM
In what ways is the 08x different from the 06x? I recall that the owner's manual for my 06 sedanX cautioned not to use the snow button on wet pavement...only use it in snow conditions.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:07 PM
Definitely ^ and wouldn't advise using it at hwy speeds, or anything close to it. T case will overheat and electric coupler will go out.

I know the hr motors in the FX35 have a revised T case, not sure if his has the same T case my 05x had but that one was garbage
Old 12-13-2017, 12:34 PM
No, let me clear my original post up a little bit.

I hardly (if ever) use "snow mode", I was just saying it doesn't matter if I use it or not, the problem still happens.

This has nothing to do about "snow mode", I was merely just stating all facts about the problem.

Take for instance today, it is snowing out and the car was acting froggy.

The problem almost feels like the motor wants to jump out of the engine bay when it jerks.

I still cannot tell if its the engine or the transmission.

But like I said, it ONLY happens on snowy conditions. In the fall/spring/summer when it is pouring rain, it NEVER happens. Only when it is cold and snowy (which doesn't make much sense).
Old 12-13-2017, 12:40 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
I'd check things in this order.

-Transaxle fluid level (or replace if past the 30k recommended interval)
-Front differential fluid level (or replace if past the 30k recommended interval)
-Front driveaxle inspection, both sides
-Front propeller shaft inspection
-Transmission fluid level (or replace if past the 30k recommended interval)
-Rear differential fluid level (or replace if past the 30k recommended interval)
-Front and rear differential bushing inspection/replacement
-Inspect engine mount condition
-All other suspension bushings inspection/replacement

If you don't find what the issue is at that point take it to the dealership for a diagnostic.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 PM
What about a sensor?

I know I don't have very much of the skid plate covers on the bottom of the engine (they ended up breaking so I took them off).

Is there sensors around there that would cause my issues? Maybe the cold and the snow is short circuiting something around there?
Old 12-13-2017, 09:12 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
Well you could always take it to the dealership for a diagnostic but if a sensor is sending either an open or shorted signal then the ECU stores a diagnostic code and you get a service engine soon light which makes me think it's more of a mechanical problem.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:38 AM
Something similar happened to me once in a cold rain, my impression was that the engine completely shut down for a split second. I noticed my battery terminals had crud and leakage on them and ended up replacing the entire battery. Never happened again.

Since it only happens to you in snow/cold indicates to me that this is a sensor or electrical issue. Likely checking all differentials/fluid levels/bushings etc while being a good idea won't resolve this. Look for corroded wiring/grounds, especially battery/alternator.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:33 PM
I've ran mine in snow mode long periods of times on cold pavement for many years. No issues here. It isn't like we are binding up a locked center diff on an old school 4WD. Never saw anything on '07 manual about that but there is also the debate whether power is applied at start to the front on the '07+ as well.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:21 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
The only "wear" it should experience is normal wear, keeping it in snow mode just causes the system to be ON which causes wear.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: