Something strange happened to my hood - it shifted - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Something strange happened to my hood - it shifted

Something strange happened to my hood - it shifted

Old 09-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Something strange happened to my hood - it shifted

So I haven't opened the hood in a while and I pop it open today and lo and behold it's jammed and some paint gets scraped by the force of me lifting it up as it is misaligned. WTF. I inspect and see how I can re align it properly and am baffled how that it would shift on its own like that. Anyone have this problem? How do I fix it?

Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
The hinge is probably worn out, it's supposed to lift UP and rotate at the same time, when they wear out they begin to rotate first before it lifts up. Causes rubbing on the fender.
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Jussumman (09-12-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 06:58 PM
cleric is correct, the hinge is starting to bind. You can spray some white lithium grease in there and move it around, and it should regain normal function.

If you don't lube it up soon, it will seize, and, if you're as super duper lucky as me, the hood will no longer line up, meaning on a 35F Monday morning you'll have to remove your hood, pull the fender back, remove the hinge, call around to try and find a replacement, not find anything, hammer that sh*t back into shape, lube it up and wiggle it around like crazy until it finally gets unstuck, reinstall it, bolt the hood back on, get the hood and demon hinge lined back up with the fenders and hood latch, and finally get to work a few hours late with hypothermia!

edit: alright I lied, I called out of work and drank hot coco.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:56 PM
You can purchase the hinge for around $25 on Amazon. I plan on fixing this issue on my G this Tuesday
EDIT: I just actually fixed it today my hood wouldnt shut on the Passanger side. Its a very easy fix with 2 people. Youll have to unbolt your fender so you can have access to the hinges. Did it within 30mins in the Night time with a flashlight, 10mm 12mm and a flathead for the clips.

Last edited by CHIEN05G35x; 09-29-2017 at 02:18 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: