I've been around a few months and posted a few things, but since the car seems to get some attention, good and bad..I thought I will create a thread to consolidate all the info at one place. Haters and lovers alike gather 'round. I like to take pictures as I'm working. I'm only here to share, and maybe open your mind a bit.
2003 6mt coupe, 113k miles, Laser Red but has been re-sprayed on at least half of the car. Looked to be all cosmetic damage from whatever happened, I never pulled a CARFAX though. Black leather seating, with the common issue on the driver lateral lower bolster. Pioneer flip out TV/Nav with bluetooth was already in the dash and working well. Tranny is original and has a grind if you push too fast into 5th.
Front bumper has a crack from whatever happened previously, but it also scored me a fresh set of OEM 2003 headlights, and a badgeless grille, along with a Seibon CF OEM hood. I could do without the hood, since the OEM is so light..but it's here and I'll eventually just paint over it most likely.
Came to me sitting on fresh new D2 true coilovers (hated em... ) and sunken deep 19" forged Rays on fresh Hankook Ventus. A spare set of 350z cloth seats in great shape came with the deal. There is also a new clutch and lightweight flywheel in the car, I don't have any docs, and I havent laid eyes on it, but I'm told it is an ACT.
Installed on the car were stainless longtube (catless) headers, a broken and badly welded midpipe, and an Ebay (GodSnow) stainless exhaust. Raspy, buzzy and stinky. Also in place was a K&N Typhoon cold air intake. Not my first choice, but properly ducted it could be useful, and it was already installed. The ecu and tuning was 100% OEM so with the airflow mods I was worried about it leaning out.
First thing I did was pull it apart and test/clean/replace all the known trouble spots. Before I pulled the valvecovers to change the gaskets and re-seal the tubes, I did a cylinder compression test. I was impressed to see cold #s in the 180s across all 6. I picked up 4 new oxygen sensors, and both cam position sensors and threw a coat of VHT red on the valvecovers before replacing them on the heads. Cleaned the TB and MAF and even wiped out the plenum. Realized right away that the PCV system in these cars sucks, so I started laying plans for my future catch can install. Installed new spark plugs noticing the ones I pulled out had apparently never been changed..
here's another good use for surgical laparotomy sponges
Pulled the Rays off, installed the Volk GT7 18s that were waiting in the closet for my GS300 and sold the Rays for a great price. Ordered up some spacers for an aggressive (not stancey pokey) stance. the Volks are mk4 Supra rims..hence I bought them for the GS300. I have other plans for the G35 now that I realize how immense the wheel wells are.
Drove it for a couple days but had some stalling issues that turned out to be leaking injectors flooding the cylinders. I scored a set of stockers and had them shipped straight to my rebuilder. 4 days later they arrived and Voila..problem completely solved.
nasty stock injectors all seeping and carbon'd
I couldnt handle my commute on the D2s so I sourced a slightly used set of 350z Bilsteins and picked up a z33 Eibach Pro-Kit for the perfect balance of just low enough and super tight handling. Sold off the barely 3000 mile D2s and broke even there. I call that a definite WIN. Amazing thing is.. I installed the Bilstein/Eibach combo and the car sat at the EXACT same height and stance that I had set the D2s for.
And now it feels like a truly capable GT car, instead of bouncing my wife's head off the ceiling over pavement bumps on the highway..although that was fun too for a minute.
I'm constantly cruising the forums and craigslist for parts deals on all my projects, so unsure if I was going to like the longtube headers, I picked up a set of TopSpeed headers with fresh ceramic coating, and set of stock cats. They are still in my closet..in a box.
I grabbed a set of motor and transmission mounts, a sort of "while you are in there" thing I learned from building my last Porsche. They are still in the box too. I did discover that several of the header nuts were loose..some very loose...so I tightened them all to spec and things got better.
I ordered up another Mid Pipe from ebay to replace the badly welded one under the car. It didnt fit correctly, the company hooked me up with another design by Megan and I got to keep the old one. The flex joints alone were worth the trouble to a serial fabricator like me.
the only "workshop" I have anymore
Picked up a grounding kit from Sean on here and things again got better. Mysteriously, the fuel gauge now works properly..lol CLEAN YOUR GROUNDS..yet another lesson from the Porsche.
In the meantime, knowing I needed some tuning.. I grabbed an UpRev Osiris cable as soon as it hit the classifieds. It took a few weeks, but I finally ponied up the $150 for Joe (Seymore4) to hook me up with the base tune for a while. money well spent. Props to you Joe.
A few more weeks go by and I scored an MD 5/16" spacer.. that went in along with my catch can design using my old GReddy can from a past project. Quick check on the plug boots shows the RTV fix is working great.
The exhaust has ALWAYS bothered me. This ringing rasp at 2500-2800 in all gears at all speeds just annoyed me. I started laying plans to replace it and tune the car to the sound I wanted. I also kind of hatched a theme for the build in the back of my mind.
for now I just plasti-dipped the rear stock lower bumper to look like a diffuser.
to be continued.. time to go home