Tapping noise from the engine - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

    > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Tapping noise from the engine


Tapping noise from the engine

Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tapping noise from the engine

The past three months, there has been a tapping noise from the engine. Its on the passenger side. I have taken it to the dealer a couple of times. The first time I was quoted about 2000 to diagnose the problem with the lifter and replace it.

The second time, I was told there isn't much of a concern at this time and we can revisit this the next oil change. I have 78000 miles on it, hence its out of power train warranty.

I have looked up on several forums and it seems several Nissan/Infiniti cars have had the same problem. Anyone outside of dealer isn't quite willing to work on engine problems. Tapping noise is very similar to this on youtube.


Is anyone aware of Infiniti owning up in some way. I don't mind getting this fixed for half the price since I'm out of warranty. I just don't know how much of a concern this is for me to get it fixed right away.

In fact the second time, the service rep goes, just drive for the next few days it could even last another 100 000 miles without causing any trouble. Then he goes perhaps in a few years a new engine might be cheaper than fixing this.

I'm just confused what I should do at this time. Any recommendation is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PK
Old 08-06-2008, 05:41 PM
iamericgee's Avatar
Registered User
iTrader: (21)
Join Date: May 2007
location: st pete fl, queens nyc
Posts: 9,365
Thanked 56 Times in 51 Posts
take it to a performance shop!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2008
location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 389
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like valve lash noise due to valve shim out of spec. When did it start happening? Diagnosing it wouldn't be that hard...just gotta take off the valve cover and measure using a feeler gauge to see if all shims are in specs. Had any work done on the heads lately?

Could also be a noisy injector....though I've not personally seen that before.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,041
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
does the noise increase with throttle?

We had a noise like this in my fiance's 03 coupe. At first the dealership said it was normal, THEN, we finally got them to acknowledge that something was wrong and start taking apart the engine. The noise was diagonsed as coming from the head somewhere so it was believed to be some type of internal engine problem.

They found fragments believed to be from the camshaft and the motor was replaced under warranty at about 40k miles. Being out of warranty, I would take your car into a place the specializes in nissans and see if they can determine where the noise is coming from.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwillow
does the noise increase with throttle?

We had a noise like this in my fiance's 03 coupe. At first the dealership said it was normal, THEN, we finally got them to acknowledge that something was wrong and start taking apart the engine. The noise was diagonsed as coming from the head somewhere so it was believed to be some type of internal engine problem.

They found fragments believed to be from the camshaft and the motor was replaced under warranty at about 40k miles. Being out of warranty, I would take your car into a place the specializes in nissans and see if they can determine where the noise is coming from.
Thanks for your quick response. I cant say for sure if it increases with throttle. It seems to stay the same from idle. Truthfully, I'm concerned if there are fragments in there. The dealer has been saying it's the valve. Gosh, I'll shop around for a Nissan mechanic.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24
Sounds like valve lash noise due to valve shim out of spec. When did it start happening? Diagnosing it wouldn't be that hard...just gotta take off the valve cover and measure using a feeler gauge to see if all shims are in specs. Had any work done on the heads lately?

Could also be a noisy injector....though I've not personally seen that before.
Nope I didn't do any work at all whatsoever. I noticed this for the first time about three months ago. I'm in Virginia close to DC. If you guys know of any good mechanic in the area, I would love to have it checked out. I called a couple of places, so far no has stepped up to work on it. It seems everyone is holding back since its engine work. One mechanic recommended putting in a bottle of STP oil treatment.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2008
location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 389
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prathap
Nope I didn't do any work at all whatsoever. I noticed this for the first time about three months ago. I'm in Virginia close to DC. If you guys know of any good mechanic in the area, I would love to have it checked out. I called a couple of places, so far no has stepped up to work on it. It seems everyone is holding back since its engine work. One mechanic recommended putting in a bottle of STP oil treatment.
That definately won't fix it. For what it's worth, I rebuilt the head on my KA24DE engine and got the valve shims mixed up when I hottanked the head and got them out of order. As a result it made the same ticking noise that increased with throttle. I fixed it by taking off the valve cover and using the feeler gauge and the FSM to identify factory specs for tolerances. Reordering shims resolved the issue. If your cam lobe, for whatever reason, had unusual wear, it may simply be out of spec and could be fixed relatively easy with any somewhat skilled machinist.

Here's a video of my 240 and what it sounded like when I was trying to diagnose my problem right after I got it put back together.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24
That definately won't fix it. For what it's worth, I rebuilt the head on my KA24DE engine and got the valve shims mixed up when I hottanked the head and got them out of order. As a result it made the same ticking noise that increased with throttle. I fixed it by taking off the valve cover and using the feeler gauge and the FSM to identify factory specs for tolerances. Reordering shims resolved the issue. If your cam lobe, for whatever reason, had unusual wear, it may simply be out of spec and could be fixed relatively easy with any somewhat skilled machinist.

Here's a video of my 240 and what it sounded like when I was trying to diagnose my problem right after I got it put back together.

Thanks so much. I guess I need to find a mechanic thats willing to work on it.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:47 PM
RBull's Avatar
Rated M
iTrader: (7)
Join Date: Nov 2004
location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 19,619
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It does sound like valve train noise. However check the fuel damper assembly which is located more to the passenger side. It can make a knocking sound like that. I had mine replaced.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2003
location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 2,514
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
These engines are extremely sensitive to oil levels and change intervals compared to older 2.0/2.4/3.0 liter versions. Why the owners manual warns that 90 day 3,750 intervals are necessay for extended engine life.

Lack of lube is the only thing that wears bucket lifter shims.

As an experiment use BG Quick Clean for Engines to clean the varnish inside the bucket lifter.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2003
location: Boca Raton Fl
Posts: 1,288
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My girlfriend's 06 G35 sedan with 37,000 miles started clanking away like crazy upon starting this morning. It sounds like a hydraulic lifter/camshift noise and would be categorized as heavy upper engine noise. The car has the balance of the 6year/70,000 mile in addition to a 4yr extended warranty so it will be covered. I have not really heard any issues about this problem. I have heard about the oil consumption and rev/up engines that self destruct, but nothing like this. It's at the dealership now. After warminig up, the noise has dissipated somewhat but is still there. They are changing the oil and planning on starting it cold tommorrow to see what happens. Any clues?
Old 12-24-2009, 08:39 AM
jibberjabbers's Avatar
Banned
iTrader: (8)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,969
Thanked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocatrip View Post
My girlfriend's 06 G35 sedan with 37,000 miles started clanking away like crazy upon starting this morning. It sounds like a hydraulic lifter/camshift noise and would be categorized as heavy upper engine noise. The car has the balance of the 6year/70,000 mile in addition to a 4yr extended warranty so it will be covered. I have not really heard any issues about this problem. I have heard about the oil consumption and rev/up engines that self destruct, but nothing like this. It's at the dealership now. After warminig up, the noise has dissipated somewhat but is still there. They are changing the oil and planning on starting it cold tommorrow to see what happens. Any clues?
See this thread.

http://rupromenergo.ru/forums/engine-...upe-video.html

Guy needed a new motor. Dealership found metal shavings in the oil pan.
Clanking noise disappears after the car warms up.

I would request that the dealership take a look inside the motor.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2003
location: Boca Raton Fl
Posts: 1,288
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers View Post
See this thread.

http://rupromenergo.ru/forums/engine-...upe-video.html

Guy needed a new motor. Dealership found metal shavings in the oil pan.
Clanking noise disappears after the car warms up.

I would request that the dealership take a look inside the motor.
Numerous responses have brought me to that very thread with the replacement of the engine. Hopefully, mine is not that serious but "you never know". You can be sure that when and if the car is returned, it better not have even the slightess noise or it will be going back. I've read about the oil filter relief valve sometimes being an issue. I should be that lucky! We shall see. I'll be calling the dealership today or will be going by to see myself. Hopefully these idiots know what they are doing. Does anyone know when the engine is replaced..........is it a factory new engine? or a rebuilt?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,041
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
its new
Old 12-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2003
location: Boca Raton Fl
Posts: 1,288
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwillow View Post
its new
Thanks, How long do most owners have to wait to go through the motions before the dealership gets the job approved for the new engine?

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with weird noise Cskeet Drivetrain 1 12-03-2015 10:18 PM
Megan test pipes HELP nickmcc123 G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 1 08-20-2015 04:10 PM
05 sedan manual bye bye engine Gookiecrunch G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 37 08-19-2015 01:00 PM
2003 G35 Sedan Radiator repair info (not DIY) joedaddy1 Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction 0 07-28-2015 03:58 PM
2008 G35x Knocking Noise at Highway Speeds rping Brakes & Suspension 0 07-26-2015 10:53 PM


Tags
03, 24, adjuster, engine, g35, idle, infiniti, lash, liter, noise, noises, sound, tapping, valve, valves, youtube
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 AM.


Copyright ©2002 - 2017, rupromenergo.ru All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in:

Related pages


g35 kenstyle body kitwww onlinetires comg2 paint brake calipersalpine iva-w205 manualmichelin defender reviewwhy does my car smell like burning rubbere46 oil catch cankickers cvr 12how to reset seat belts after accident350z complete turbo kitprecision ppi2008 mercedes clk550 convertiblewhat removes window tint glueg35 skyline body kittakata seatbelt walletrevo shifterrpf1 center capstanabe touring medallionnissan lug nut key150 shot nitrous kitcarmax jax floc infinitiakebono bbkbone daddy's dallasinfiniti g35 coupe accessoriesnewmarket costcozapco 9.0eibach pro wheel spacershow to remove air from radiator systemgoldrimstsudo sp2 mufflercallahan brakescredit score of 630 auto loanmax pro coiloverswalbro fuel pump canadaavic d3 bluetoothmegan racing manifold5zigensvossen cv1where is the crankshaft locatedinfiniti g37 skyline conversioninfiniti g20 p10murdered out 350zvolk te37 replicaspowerbleedermulti color underglowhow tight should alternator belt bertv valve cover gasketzestjdmg35 black tail lightswhat does a steering angle sensor doheadlight restoration meguiarsis300 ls1 swapinfinity kappa perfectcam chain tensioner replacement costxxr qualityclear radiator hosek2 motorcost of fan belt replacementkiwami wheelscentric premium high carbon brake rotorspioneer avh 4200dvd2002 nissan maxima p0300horsepower 350zmagnaflow h pipewheels varrstoentransmission cooler mountingstancenation wallpaperburnt exhaust tipg37 dash kitplasti dip victoria bctruechoice konivc 22349 a200k to milesbc coilover rebuildacura tl 2005 bolt patterninfiniti fx45 specsuniversal coolant recovery tankboston acoustics gt-2200infiniti dealer schaumburg