**** FINAL UPDATE ****
I totally forgot to upload the wiring diagram a long time ago for this. So, here it is.
A few new notes:
1. has been working well.
2. bluetooth sometimes won't connect. rare, but usually a car power off will reset it.
3. you HAVE to flash it with the Nissan CDC firmware.
4. You still buy the NIS02 connector. The you will need to make your own jumper harness to the CD changer harness. this means.. solder maybe, connector pins, etc... I found some stuff online that worked as i couldn't find a male connector for this anywhere. I might 3d print one soon.... Soldering is probably the easiest.
5. I swapped pins 12 and 16 from my original design. Now the unit doesn't restart from the first track at each power on.
6. Repeat/Random functions: after initial power on, before you do anything else, press the RPT button to cycle through the available options. This function is weird and can ONLY do this if it's the first button pressed. The way USB works, is that you select a disc 1-6, then it starts playing. if you want to random the entire "disc", then you select ALL DISC RANDOM from the repeat options. it won't cycle through all the "virtual" discs, just all the tracks on the "disc". no way to select all 1-6 "discs". doesn't matter if you through all your tracks onto a disc.
7. steering wheel controls work fine.
8. if bluetooth is playing, you cannot switch to USB. limitation of the device no matter what. must stop playing BT
9. unlimited track numbers
10. all normal grom audio information still applies, such as track labeling.
11. there are a few customizations available via a config file. documented on grom's site somewhere.
**** UPDATE ****
I decided to revisit this option after learning that the Grom Audio unit could emulate CD Changer controls. The connector supplied does not fit connectors on a G35 with Bose + Nav. However, I have figured out the wiring and have been mocking up a harness that allows the Grom unit to be recognized by the headunit. So far, so good. That said, it appears to work. Once I finish testing, I'll update this again with all the dirty details. Grom was very helpful in providing information to make this possible.
So, I came across a device from Grom Audio in another thread. It's just what I've always wanted from Santa, so I bought it. It's in shipping now and should be here early next week, or sooner. (Saturday please?)
I only ordered the USB model, so no ipod tests. If someone wants to order the IPOD cable for it and have me test it out, I will (i have an ipod touch, which I hate
I paid About $120 shipped.
I have an 07 G35S with Nav. I was informed that I should be able to use the device with the steering wheel controls AND have text displayed on the nav screen.
There are some limitations and "quirks". The files and folders need to be setup properly on the USB drive for proper playback, especially with Random playback. In other words, you should have every file titled either with a track number at the start, or NONE of them with track numbers at the start of the file name. I'm going the "no track number" route, as who really cares what track number it is? They have an FAQ on their website about this aspect.
They state they have tested with more than 10,000 songs with no issues! YAY! No more 512 file limits.
I will try to take some simple pictures of the install and tests.
Also, they now have a Nissan/Infiniti unit that will work on units that don't have the satellite capabilities.
Oh, that's the other thing to be aware of with the model I ordered. Your radio HAS to have the word "CAT" written on it for this model to work. In other words, you must have the satellite radio capabilities.
They also provide firmware updates that seem easy to install. The really nice thing with the firmware updates, is that you can switch firmwares between vehicles. In other words, you can plug the unit in you bought for your infiniti into your new BMW! Only thing is, you'll have to buy the correct cable. Which isn't expensive.
Should be interesting, and I hope it works.
See top of post for most current update.
for the specific model of my car, with the specific options (music box, cd changer, backup cam, ICC, etc...) the grom audio box doesn't work. They are updating their website to indicate such and are hoping to find a solution. For everyone else, who doesn't have an integrated XM satellite tuner, this is a good device from a company with excellent customer service. NOTE: some of the G35 sedans have an XM tuner that is integrated into the radio/head unit. NO USB/IPOD interface that uses XM will work on this car.
Grom Audio USB/BT to CDC control hack up for G35S with NAV/SAT.