iPhone 5S with Steering Wheel Controls and Charging (Lightning Connector) - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • iPhone 5S with Steering Wheel Controls and Charging (Lightning Connector)

iPhone 5S with Steering Wheel Controls and Charging (Lightning Connector)

Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 AM
iPhone 5S with Steering Wheel Controls and Charging (Lightning Connector)

I saw a few posts on here lately that state that all iPhones since iPhone 4 cannot be charged. Just wanted to bust that myth.

I have a 2008 G35 Journey with the non-USB factory iPod port in the center console. I previously owned an iPhone 3GS (old 30-pin connector) and that one charged fine, which is as expected. But I have also owned an iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 (wife) and we were able to get both of them connected fully to our factory stereos (navigate artist/album, now playing, steering wheel controls) AND charge the phone batteries.

I used the iSimple® ReVolt™ (IS710). See my earlier post for specifics: http://rupromenergo.ru/forums/v36-aud...4h2-1ba0b.html. Basically, this cable looks like a long extension cable for a 30-pin Apple charging cable. I plugged it into the end of the factory iPod cable that comes with our cars (Part # 284H2-1BA0B). When I plugged an iPhone 4 or 4S into that, it works.

My wife and I recently both recently upgraded to the iPhone 5S, which has a different charging connector (Lightning). Hell will freeze over before Infiniti actually releases a new cable. But I was able to use the genuine Apple 30-pin to Lightning converter on top of the iSimple ReVolt to preserve all of the same functionality (full connection plus charging). The reason I emphasize the “genuine” Apple cable is that I had about five other, cheaper converters either purchased locally or online and none of them worked consistently or at all.

So, here is the setup and some pics:

Parts List:

(1) the factory cable (Part # 284H2-1BA0B):

(2) iSimple® ReVolt™ (IS710):

3) Apple .2M Lightning to 30-pin Adapter: .

(4) ProClip USA Mount # 834023:

(5) ProClip USA Holder # 514433: .

Pics with everything mounted below. You'll see that the factory cable stays inside the center console because I had a hole drilled through the center console and had the wiring under the center console so the iPhone/iPod cable comes out next in between the console and my driver's side seat (i.e., no cables showing or sticking out of my center console):

If you look closely in the pics below, you'll see the charging lightning bolt is on and that the Nav display is properly showing the track playing.

Attached Thumbnails
iPhone 5S with Steering Wheel Controls and Charging (Lightning Connector)-img_8340_resize.jpg iPhone 5S with Steering Wheel Controls and Charging (Lightning Connector)-img_8347_resize.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to ahrajani For This Useful Post:
xcelocity (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 01:58 AM
Great write up!

Just a side note the reason the less expensive Lightning to 30-pin Adapter you were buying where not working is because some of the cheap ones from ebay/ ect are just for charging and don't sync music.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Great write up. Thanks for sharing and including the part #'s . I'll be going with the exact same setup with my iPhone 5.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:39 PM
just to make sure, i have an isimple tranzit is77, i could only play music from a iphone 4, ipod touch 4th gen, or any ipod that has the long charging port. If I buy the 30 pin adapter (like the one you have) for the iphone 5 will i be able to play the music I have in my iPhone 5s? I have a 2006 coupe G35
Old 09-15-2014, 07:16 AM
just wondering has this solution stood the test of time or is there now a better way ?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:41 PM
I'm curious too. This is an old post but I just got an iphone6 and this is one of the issues for me with it. The only thing that's missing from the original post is the iSimple revolt that is linked is no longer available. I may just buy the apple converter cable and deal with not being able to charge the phone. I've dealt with that since the one upgrade broke it for my 3/4s anyway.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:16 PM
I just got an iphone6, the factory cable, and an Apple 30 pin adapter. Plugged it in and nothing. The phone goes quiet, but nothing comes out of the car speakers. Anyone actually get an iphone6 to play? I don't even care about the charging thing right now.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingandmiss View Post
I just got an iphone6, the factory cable, and an Apple 30 pin adapter. Plugged it in and nothing. The phone goes quiet, but nothing comes out of the car speakers. Anyone actually get an iphone6 to play? I don't even care about the charging thing right now.
I just bought a genuine Apple adapter and sometimes it takes a little while but eventually it recognizes my phone/ipod touch and it plays fine.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:00 PM
I have an authentic adapter as well, but it's not working.