DIY: Front Bumper Replacement - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • DIY: Front Bumper Replacement

DIY: Front Bumper Replacement

Old 09-04-2010, 01:15 PM
DIY: Front Bumper Replacement

I just posted this up on , and wanted to share it with you guys as well. Larger images are available there.

Tools required:
  • 10 mm socket wrench and extension
  • Small flathead screwdriver
  • Long-nose pliers
  • (Optional) A couple other screwdrivers, any will do

Parts required:

Nissan OEM bumper, part # 62022-JK22H. For paint colors, please refer to .

This is a sports bumper with the ICC cut-out, you can use the regular sport bumper and make the cut-out yourself.

Miscellaneous clips, as needed and shown. I re-used those from the old bumper.

Steps:

1. Your bumper will come unpainted a dark gray (plastic), unbox and stuff it in your car - if you go through the front passenger side door opening, you can fit it lengthwise to the back of the car with no problem.

2. Remove your front bumper. I did not document this as it’s fairly easy, but you can refer to this DIY from Q8y_drifter.

3. If your car is lowered, or you want more room, it helps to jack-up the front end of the car. Be sure to support it well, i have jack stands on the side-rails and kept the lift on the front jacking point.

4. On the old bumper you just removed, set it down and remove the “threaded” clips on the bottom. Two types of clips are shown here, you may have one or the other (or both), both are fairly easy to remove with the help of a small flathead screwdriver to remove the tension holding it to the bumper.

5. If you have ICC, do this, otherwise skip to step 6.

Remove the three screws as shown, then unclip where pointed. This is a two-piece assembly, the front comes out from the front of the bumper, what you’re looking at is the rear portion. The front, and rear, sandwiches the bumper in-between.

6. On the top-side of the bumper, remove these two bolts. Remove the metal mounting reinforcement/bar and set-aside.

7. Remove the top rubber strip running the length of the top-side of the bumper. The tabs holding them down are wider on the bottom so you’ll have to squeeze them with a needle nose pliers, if you just pull from the heads, they will break.

8. Remove the two metal mounting bars on the middle part of the bumper, these are located on each end of the bumper, the area that attaches it to the fenders. The tabs that hold them in place are rather difficult to remove as they’re ribbed. You do not want to pull from the top head or they’ll break. What i did was insert two screwdrivers for leverage and slowly pushed one up, the other down and vice versa until the bar came off.

9. Comparison of old vs. new

10. Now attach everything you removed from the old bumper onto the new bumper by following these steps in reverse (or however way you want to do it).

A local shop wanted 2.75 hrs. of labor to install the bumper. I did it in roughly 1.5.

Have fun!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Former rupromenergo.ru Vendor
Where did you get the sport bumper from and for how much? Looks great btw!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks Got them from InfinitiPartsUSA (Same dealership that runs G35Parts.com/EverythingG35). The bumper itself was $236, plus the freight charges.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Former rupromenergo.ru Vendor
Did it come painted?!?!?!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:06 PM
LOL! I wish Painting was an additional $270 +tax. That explains the picture with the bumper in the passenger seat... that's how i transported it to/from the paint shop.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 AM
good write up!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Great DIY. I'm gonna need this when I swap bumpers

Mike, any idea how big the box was? I'm ordering my bumper through a friend and he needs box dimensions for a proper shipping quote. InfinitiPartsUSA are not answering my emails :/
Old 09-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Welcome and thanks

I don't have measurements, but it's fairly huge. Imagine the bumper by itself plus about 6-10" of padding all around -- top, bottom, sides, front and back. The box itself was shaped like a bumper, one straight and two angled boxes. It wouldn't fit in the car for sure. It was delivered via FedEx Freight (not by your typical FedEx truck neither).

That's all i've got, sorry.