TCM (transmission control module) is done. HELP! - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • TCM (transmission control module) is done. HELP!

TCM (transmission control module) is done. HELP!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Angry TCM (transmission control module) is done. HELP!

just picked up an 07 g35x and at about the 300 mile mark of ownership the check engine light appeared. Took it to the dealer and it was a u1000 CAN communication failure code. They said that the TCM (transmission control module) is bad and the part is almost $1,000 and the labor is about $350 (the TCM is part of the throttle valve and requires dropping the transmission pan).

This price seems pretty steep as I can pick up a used transmission with 25k for almost this much! Anyone have any advice or leads on where I can get this part for way less?

By the way, the car has 75k on it so I am just past the powertrain warranty period. The dealer said there is nothing they can do to help me out with the repair cost and that if I call corporate I might get them to help me out given how close I am to the warranty period ending.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Firstly from what i know the TCM is inside the tranny for 05+ Gs but this can be confirmed by someone who has an auto for sure.

wow sorry to hear that happen at such mileage... i would firstly contact corporate like your dealership said and tell em VERY nicely that you bought this car used thinking infiniti cars were reliable but this has been a nightmare to see a TCM go bad around 75k, tell em you were thinking about upgrading to new G later on if you had a good experience with this one...

Now you must realize that even though you bought it used, the fact is that the car is out of its powertrain warranty so they dont have to approve the claim but Im pretty sure they will approve a repair if they feel they can earn your future business.

If that fails then first try junkyards and you will be surprised to find 07+ Gs in there and that should help find you a cheap TCM for sure, even if you dont find one in your area, go online and many junkyards around the states now even do business online and ship as well. And since i have not heard of this problem on here im guessing its not a normal issue and the used replacement should be good.

Else try the infiniti vendors on here and they will give you a better price than that for sure, also IF the claim is denied just take your car to a good local shop and it should not run you more than ~$150 for the install since its pretty much dropping the pan, replacing the TCM, and then just sealing and closing the pan PLUS ATF.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:01 PM
to try to get infinity to warranty is going to require me to tow the thing to the infinity dealer from the nissan dealer it is at and pay a $128 diagnostic fee before they will even begin considering it. I've never owned an infiniti or a nissan and have never been to either of their dealers.

As far as used parts no salvage yard is willing to separate the TCM (which is part of the valve body) from the trannys they got. Nissan dealer rate is $110 an hour and they have on there 289.99 for labor (about 2.6 hours). Local transmission shop charges $60 an hour, but I would have to have it towed to them.

I found the part from infintipartsusa for $713 shipped. Thinking of just going that route and having nissan replace it since it it already there and since they were kind enough to wave their $69 diagnostic fee.

Thoughts? Does anyone think it is worth the $$ to tow it 50 miles to infiniti and pay the $128 to have them diagnose it on the chance that corporate might help me out with it? I'm guessing the hourly rate at infiniti will be higher and i can't see corporate covering more than the price diff im getting in parts plus the extra i would pay infiniti to diagnose and do it.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Infiniti Warranty Program sucks, most likely will not make any effort to extend the warranty.

Regardless of your choice, if the OEM TCM is replaced it still needs to be reprogrammed which will cost about $125.00.

I had several issues with my 5AT and had extended warranty but with FI Infiniti voided warranty on drivetrain.

Your best option without replacing transmission yourself and dealing with towing is to have Nissan/Infiniti dealership replace TCM.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:19 AM
so it has now been about 3.5 years and guess what? The TCM just failed AGAIN! There is now a revised part number that is much more expensive ($1300 list, $1100 online), so perhaps there is an inherit problem with these. This time the repair is going to come closer to $2,000. I also found out when I had to have my wood trim replaced under a recall that while the car was still under warranty the TCM also failed. So this car, which was placed in service in 4/2007, has now had 3 TCM failures in less than 8 years.

Anyone else had this problem?

Infiniti customer care said that they wouldn't help me out at all since the car now has 130k on it. I tried to argue that clearly the thing was not properly fixed under warranty & that i had traveled less than the 6 years 75k their powertrain warranty is for. They told me that only applies to new cars and that parts are only covered for 12 months / 12k miles. I am now trying to get them to extend the warranty on this 3rd valve body and pointing out that it seems like it isn't a question of if this 3rd TCM will fail, but when. The pattern has been every 2-3 years it goes down, so it is highly unlikely that it will fail while still under the 12m/12k warranty, but pretty likely that it will go down again before 6 years / 75k is up. I'm supposed to hear back from them tomorrow. If they won't extend it past 12 months, I'm likely going to be forced to put the thing for sale in 11 months as I just can't tolerate paying nearly 2k every 2-3 years for the same friggin part!

The dealer at least has offered to give me a 20% discount on parts/labor, which will put the total cost somewhere between 1800-1900 after tax this go around. I wish I could bring it to an indy shop that might give me a longer warranty, but I'm stuck with going to either nissan or infiniti since the TCM has to be programmed by a dealer once installed.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:51 PM
what kind of symptoms did your car give you when you got the code? I fear i may have the same issue...

I got the same code this weekend and my transmission went nuts. Ended up resetting the car and haven't gotten a code since...car pulls hard from 1st to 2nd,but after driving it awhile it's back to normal.
2006 G coupe AT.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:22 PM
My 2005 g35 coupe shifts hard from 2-3rd gear when cold, but just like DWalt024..after driving it on the highway it's back to normal and shifts smoothly. Is it the fluid needing the warm up or something or is the TCM resetting every time i start the car so it has to "relearn" my driving habits?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystroe99 View Post
My 2005 g35 coupe shifts hard from 2-3rd gear when cold, but just like DWalt024..after driving it on the highway it's back to normal and shifts smoothly. Is it the fluid needing the warm up or something or is the TCM resetting every time i start the car so it has to "relearn" my driving habits?
1 year later and my transmission pulls hard from 2 to 3. But then from 3 to 4 it slips like crazy when cold. When its getting warm 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 shift hard. When warm all gears are smooth. Downshifting is always fine except from 2 1. The car has a very loud ckunkity clunk clunk...feels like the transmission is falling out of the car. I Gotta bring it to a tranny shop and have em drop the pan. I haven't gotten any feedback here yet :-/