Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • need help guys!

need help guys!

Old 01-09-2018, 08:48 PM
need help guys!

Hey guys,
so a few weeks ago I noticed my car was cranking an extra turn or two before starting, so I figured my battery was on its way out (no biggie). Fast forward to last Friday I took my lunch at work at 11:45, car starts fine. I go to leave at 4:30 and my car wonít start. All accessories turn on but nothing from the engine. I have no boss jump me, car starts fine being jumped. I make it home and go the next morning and buy a new battery. I install it and the car starts but still seems like itís cranking a little longer than what it usually would prior to all this happening. Oh well, new battery, car starts... so Sunday night I run to the grocery store with my 11 month old son, come out 30 minutes later and nothing, car wonít start again. I get jumped, car starts and I figure Iíll try to diagnose it in the morning. So the next morning I go out in the garage and I figure Iíll try to start it just to see what happens. Well the car starts. So now Iím thinking ďwhat the hell is going on with this thingĒ. I take it to Autozone and have the starter, alternator and battery tested. Everything passes but he says I have the incorrect battery. So i return the battery that I bought and buy the correct one from Autozone. Iím thinking maybe this was my problem ďI didnít have the correct batteryĒ. So oh well, now I have the correct battery and starter and alternator are fine, so I guess Iím good to go. Now comes today (Monday) I start my car in the morning, go to work, leave for lunch and then leave work. Car seeens fine. I run to Costco to get diapers, come out fifteen minutes later and there it is again, my car wonít start. I sit the for about a half hour and the. It finally starts. I make it home and now Iím making this thread. I am stumped! So when the car wonít start, all the accessories turn on. Everything seems like it should except the car wonít start, no cranking, nothing. What could this be guys? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for any typos. Doing this from my phone. Thanks a mot

doug
Old 01-09-2018, 09:05 PM
I just thought of something. Could it possibly be the brake pedal switch for the push button start? Even though my brake lights still work at all times when I hit them? I had my boss look on Friday when my car wouldn’t start
Old 01-09-2018, 09:09 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
Sounds like a failing starter.

Have the battery tested again when it's removed from the vehicle. Clean the battery terminal and the cables (both ends of EACH cable) with a wire brush and apply ILSCO anti-oxidation grease (or whatever brand of anti-oxidation (not dielectric that's something different) grease the parts house carries), reassemble, don't have to go crazy with the de-ox grease just a little bit on the mating surfaces is enough. If you have access to a digital multimeter, even a cheapo one turn it to OHMS and measure the resistance of the cables once they're removed on both ends, the reading should be ZERO ohms (or really close to zero, you might see 0.1ohms or other very low resistance).

The ground wire connects to the chassis right next to the battery (remove the entire plastic cover not just the access window, it's held down by a half dozen jap-snaps, use a screwdriver to pop up the middle pin and pull them out), under your radiator coolant reservoir (single 10mm bolt holding down the reservoir then you can lift it straight up, leave the hose attached there is enough slack) is the next ground jumper which attaches to the engine timing cover, clean this ground jumper and measure resistance too.

Now you have verified that the battery and cables are not the problem, if you STILL have starting issues it's the starter itself

I wouldn't ever trust a starter test that doesn't physically remove the starter from the engine. Also the solenoid on the starter is susceptible to damage from heat and might only have issues starting ONCE HOT which sounds like what happened at Costco.

My gut feeling is the issue is the starter but I would perform the other steps which are very easy to complete and only costs a small packet of de-ox to rule out something like a pinhole damage in the insulation of a wire that corroded out the conductor itself.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:11 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
The start circuit includes the transmission neutral safety switch inside the console mounted to the side of the gear select for an AT, or the clutch safety switch mounted on top of the clutch pedal for a 6MT. The brake switch is not part of the starting circuit but IS required to unlock the gear select to get out of park.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Ok thanks so much! When my car won’t start, I can still get it out of park. So that means it’s not the switch the. Either right? I’m kind of leaning towards the starter too.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
The shifter switch is part of the starting circuit, it only allows the engine to start when it's in park or neutral but in my experience when they stop working it sort of permanent and not one of those "only stops working once in a while" kind of things.