Rim damage when tires mounted, compensation? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | rupromenergo.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Rim damage when tires mounted, compensation?

Rim damage when tires mounted, compensation?

Old 10-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Angry Rim damage when tires mounted, compensation?

I had a set of tires mounted onto my 06 18" sedan sport rims at a local tire place, Mr. Tire. They used an impact gun and at least one lug nut hole on each wheel got scraped so bad it took the finish off, some have two or three. On the lip of every wheel their is a 3"-4" scrape following the edge of the rim and works its way into the outer lip. Some of the packing tape on that tire rack uses to ship the tires is stuck in one of the beads too! The balance is a bit off too at ~60MPH the wheel lightly visibly shimmies. They noted the lug nut hole damage and balance issue on my paper work. I didn't notice the scrapes until I washed the car yesterday. I took it by this morning and and showed it to the person who was opening the shop and got his name. I plan to call the manager today and ask what they are going to do.

I'd like a full set of four new OE wheels. Is this unreasonable? I guess it depends on what state you are in but is there limit of liability more than the $140 I paid for mounting and balancing? Has anyone dealt with this before and what was the outcome?
Old 10-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Banned
Same thing happened to me when I got my new MPS's ... they scrapped up my rims pretty bad while putting the tires on, but i didn't notice it till a week later or so when i was washing my car... i figured it was too late by then to call them out on it.

I got it done at Costco Tire Center...
Old 10-30-2006, 02:37 PM
sounds like a mess... best they would probably offer is a wheel repair
and to mount rebalance perfectly.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Red Card Crew
Sorry Mardi. I'd go ahead and demand new wheels. They might go for it. But in the end, they will probably only offer a repair. But the repair isn't as straight forward as one would think. The gunmetal finish is a black base with a semi transparent metallic topcoat w/ clear. So if I'd maybe call Infiniti and ask them who they go to for wheel repair. They should know who can perform the repair right. I got quoted $250 just to repair one of my coupe 19 wheel scrapes.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:59 PM
SLICK
Thanked 1,049 Times in 934 Posts
Damaged rims..................

I don't see the problem, either they replace or fix your rims.......I wish you luck dealing with the owner!
Most tire shop employees are kinda like used car
salesmen......LOL
Old 10-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c
I don't see the problem, either they replace or fix your rims.......I wish you luck dealing with the owner!
Most tire shop employees are kinda like used car
salesmen......LOL
Was this installer recommended by TireRack?

If so, make sure you complain to them big and loud if they did recommend them. They should be able to put some pressure on them.
This is why it is SO important to find competent mechanics. A good garage can do the same thing a tire place can. Some tire places are good, and you will see some high end cars going there for service.
Either get a good recommendation from friends, neighbors, etc.
I just had a set installed by a TR recommended installer, the work was immaculate. No air wrench with 10 feet of my car.
Pre-torqued lugs by hand on the rack, and final hand torque on the ground.
Brake dust had even been washed off the front wheels.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:02 PM
my factory rims are scratched up around the rim and where the lug nuts go on all four.
i woulda been pissed but they were already in bad condition to begin with AND I DID ask those idiots at the shop before if they scratch the rims and they said "NO".
this happened in America's Tire Company btw.
Fvckin incompetent idiots i tell ya......
Old 10-30-2006, 08:09 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com
I used to work at Discount Tire Co. and i now work at Firestone. They most likely will send the wheels off for repair. Sucks that they wont buy you new ones but that's just the way it goes. I'd ask them to replace all the rims first just for the heck of it though, you might get lucky.
-GP-
Old 10-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Filed the complaint with the Mr. Tire customer service and their claims department is supposed to contact me shortly. Yes it was a TR recomended installler. If Mr. Tire dosent step up and take car of this I'll go to TR and BBB and maybe even stand in front the store with a big sign saying "BEWARE OF MR TIRE" or somthing stupid like that
Old 10-30-2006, 11:12 PM
The goblin resurrection
good luck hope they take care of you
Old 10-30-2006, 11:54 PM
that really sucks...when i got my 20s put on to replace the 19s...i stood in the garage with the guy and checked everything he did...i also put the sevas sticker in the middle myself while the car was in the air
Old 11-06-2006, 09:27 PM
The inspector from Travelers came out today and gave me his estimate. It was ~$3100 for full replacement of the wheels, the wheels are apparently $751 from Infiniti. I need to call the adjuster and make arrangments to get the work done and payment etc. They want the damaged wheels back after they are swapped. What bites is that I will more than likley need to take time off work to get all this done and the my dealer is ~1.5hrs away. Should I ask for compensation for this too, like a rental reimbursment and lost wages? Would it be bad to ask the adjuster if they could compensate me in another way for the damage, like say they would get $800 for the damaged wheels at best they still need to spend labor the get the wheels and sell them off. So lets blow off my time and rental car expense and compensate me for the loss of value in the form of the difference in their cost (3) and be done with it? Would that be insurance fraud or anything like that. I could put the $2300 toward a much better set of wheels and it would be a lot less of a pain in the but for me. Whadda you guys think?